Unable to walk due to pain - Should I apply for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unable to walk due to pain - Should I apply for PIP?

kayleighanne
kayleighanne Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am type 1 diabetic and I now have diabetic  neuropathy which means nerve damage in both my feet.at the moment I am taking gabapentin if I don't take it is am unable to walk because the pain is so bad.i work in an office full-time. I work colleague said I would be entitled to pip I would like to know if I should  apply for it.

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @kayleighanne,

A good way of working out if you should apply for PIP is to carry out a PIP self-assessment test. You can see all of the activity descriptors and score yourself points as you go along. Have a look at the information about PIP on our website and you'll find the link to the PIP self-assessment test there. http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip 

Hopefully this will be a good starting point for you. If you want to talk more or have some specific questions, let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Yes, do claim and do it as soon as possible. How ever long it takes if you do receive the claim you will be paid back pay from when you first call.

Pain is a dreadful disability and is not 'just pain'. You have a genuine disability that you need help with and that is exactly wheat our welfare system is for. I cant walk due to pain, thats why I clicked on your post. If it helps, I claimed 3 years ago when less disabled and after a year of faff I received lower mobility of PIP and the daily living bit of PIP. It got worse, and 6 months ago I re did my PIP in hope of receiving the higher mobility which enables me to get access to a power chair. And!!! Yesterday I got the letter!!! I got the higher rate and have an appointment next week to get some more power!

At the end f the day, let them decide. Apply, be truthful about your condition (don't try to sound brave  :)    ), get it done...then try and forget about it....and see what happens.  Oir PIP has really helped with costs like groceries delivered, help with IT as I cant handwrite, wheelchair help etc. Def worth the faff

Best of luck
  • mossycow
    P.S.  I agre with Debbie Voakes but do the proper call and register as you will be paid from that date. If you wait and do the practise one you will only get paid from hen you properly apply if that makes sense
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Thanks @mossycow for your input, it's very reassuring for people to hear about a positive PIP outcome and all the positives that can come out of being awarded PIP.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• Denny
    Denny Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Yes, you are working and find it tough!  With PIP you will be able to buy things to help you.  My husband and I had the money and over time scooters, wheelchairs, walking aid got better and better, so we used the money to buy what we needed.  Anything to help and make life easier, even to go to work  It wasn't to show off, it was to help.  Also, if you don't apply, you could be compounding the pain which may lead to not working or even not being able to go out.  Please apply for it.  Denny  
  • kayleighanne
    kayleighanne Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thank you for all your reply so I will be phoning them tomorrow to apply for pip the doctor has now put me on amitriptyline as well as gabapentin.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Thanks all for contributing to this discussion and I hope all goes well with your claim @kayleighanne

Keep us posted.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • mossycow
    Nice one,  best of luck! 
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    kaylea, when i applyed for pip from dla it was march2016, by the time every thing was sorted, phone calls letter  face to face letter , my first payment was the end of september, but they still payed  dla until then, so get the phone call done  soon as possible.  good luck.
  • tt2018
    tt2018 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I have just done a change of circumstances with pip I have urine and bowel in continence and really bad anxiety and depression I have a machine in my back so without that I can’t wee normally I still have to self Catheterise 4-6 times a day I have nerve damage in my lower back and my legs could anyone plz tell me what I might get they have said a home visit but I’ve asked them for a paper assessment I’m completely stressed out over it all any help or advice would really help thank you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    tt2018 said:
    I have just done a change of circumstances with pip I have urine and bowel in continence and really bad anxiety and depression I have a machine in my back so without that I can’t wee normally I still have to self Catheterise 4-6 times a day I have nerve damage in my lower back and my legs could anyone plz tell me what I might get they have said a home visit but I’ve asked them for a paper assessment I’m completely stressed out over it all any help or advice would really help thank you 
    HI,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

Most people have a face to face assessment, it's rare to have a paper based one. If you've sent enough of evidence to support your claim then a paper based is possible.

I'm afraid no one can tell you whether you'll successfully be awarded because no one knows how your conditions affect you.

Hopefully it won't be too long before you hear from them. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tt2018
    tt2018 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    @poppy123456 I don’t leave my house at all unless it’s for hospital appointments or doctors my dad or mum has to take me my dad does my bills my food shopping etc I can’t walk for longer than 20 meters if I have a fall my machine in my back will cut out and my legs give way a lot due to my nerve damage my mum does my meals for me a leaves them for me on a daily basis waiting for them to make a Decision is very stressful I sent them over 2500 pages of medical evidence plus supporting letter from doctors surgeons family 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    2500 pages of evidence is an awful lot for them to read through and they most likely won't read all of that. Very often for PIP less is more.

I know it's stressful and the worst part is waiting but there's really nothing you can do until you hear from them. If a face to face assessment is needed they'll send you an appointment letter. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long but there's no timescales, it depends on backlog in your area.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.