Hello, I am a Fashion student looking into fashion and disability! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello, I am a Fashion student looking into fashion and disability!

sophiaStudent
sophiaStudent Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2016 in Research and opportunities
I am currently in my final year doing a Fashion degree, and I am writing a dissertation on disability and fashion. I am looking for anyone willing to help me with my research as I was recommended this site to try! 

I am really trying to understand the practicality and struggles those with physical disability may face when buying clothing. I feel there is currently a gap in the market for comfortable fashionable clothing, which is wearable for those who have a disability, but strive to stay on top of fashion trends. This is something I am wanting to work on myself and would be extremely grateful for anyone's time. I would love to hear any feedback, questions or any comment you all may have!

below are just a few questions I have come up with, however please feel free to comment on anything else that you feel could be relevant or useful for my studies. I am targeting males and females and a wide range of ages so as much feedback as possible would be fantastic.

Do you feel there is a gap in the market for comfortable fashion for those with a physical disability?
where do you currently shop and buy your clothing? Do you have to go to a specific place?
Are there any difficulties you face when buying clothing?
do you find the clothing you buy practical AND fashionable?
would you benefit from stores such as Debenhams, Topshop/man, Next, Zara and HnM, that provided current fashion trends, but could cut designs specifically for those with a physical disability?
would you also be interested if stores provided a free alteration service for yourself?
Are there any other comments you personally would like to add?

Many thanks for your time 
I look forward to hearing from you 
Sophia 

Comments

• wheelygirl
    wheelygirl Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Hi the answer to all your questions is yes
  • sophiaStudent
    Thank you! Are there any other things you would like to add? Anything you face personally when buying clothing? :smile:
  • Judomandean
    Judomandean Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    I am disabled judo player and just from to top f my heads any sports clothing / footwear designed to aid dressing more speedily (and fashionable) would be a god send.
  • tutumamo
    tutumamo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Sophia I am disabled  and I am also a tailor I can understand disable people have great difficulty to buy fashionable clothes they need to alter their cloth most of the time.
  • sophiaStudent
    this is something I'm trying to target, better movement within clothing, fastenings which are more practical also, keeping them fashionable however and on trend! Alteration services can be SO expensive and this is why I'm wanting to make a change in fashion so EVERYONE can wear it! You shouldn't have to pay extortionate amounts to get clothing altered there should be services that provide this or even companies such as debenhams, marks and house of Fraser which have clothing ranges within store for comfort, flexibility and practicality! When looking for clothing what attracts you to buying it is it the colour pattern or the material? Is this for any particular reason? Does anyone struggle with fastenings?  Any feedback is much appreciated!
  • Letty
    Letty Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    Hi, I know my daughter has difficulty with buttons. metal popper clasp things you would think would solve this? but she can not manage to apply the pressure needed to fasten them. we do own a rain coat with magnet clasps, is this something that could be utilised in clothing? handles on trousers for pulling up would be great! my daughter would love to wear jeans but the fly button is a real issue.
  • sophiaStudent
    Thank you so much for your feedback and comments really appreciate this!!!

please keep them coming :) 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sophiaStudent how is your research coming on?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • leftyjoe61
    leftyjoe61 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Guess I'm late to the discussion. But there are several issues I have regarding clothing design. Most pockets are too small and tight. I have great difficulty getting my keys, wallet, or cell phone out of my pockets. I also don't want to carry basic items in an extra bag or case.  Pockets in t-shirts or pullovers have become uncommon. I also struggle to get my jacket on and off from my wheelchair.  Most clothing is designed for people who can stand and walk.   Much of the clothing designed for the disabled resembles scrubs or smocks.   We don't need clothes that scream "I'm disabled."
  • sophiaStudent
    Hello all, i have been busy in collating ideas and writing up my dissertation! Everyones feedback has been extremely helpful and all documented and helped me with understanding the needs you require from future fashion designers and clothing! An area within the industry i am aiming to tackle myself making sure clothing is being designed with everybody in mind. I have spoken to many people and visited organisations within my local area and it has been a fabulous topic for discussion! Thank you all for taking a moment of your time to inform me with your own personal experiences. I really hope we will see a change in future fashion, making it practical and suitable for all. It is an area in the industry i am personally aiming to fill. I wish you all the best and again thank you!

Sophia x
  • MrsD
    MrsD Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Sophia. I've just joined this forum and was very interested in your post. I presume you've finished your dissertation. I hope you did well. I'm in a wheelchair and was searching for comfortable attractive clothes to wear. Trousers need to come higher at the back without pockets and buttons. I wondered if you had any feedback to share after your research.
    MrsD
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.