No ifs or buts, just do it — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No ifs or buts, just do it

milo
milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
I've been avidly following the paralympics. We've seen some incredible sporting achievements and heard many inspiring stories from the athletes. Now it's all over, we hear about building on the legacy of the games. 

Now I don't know about you,  but I can't run like Georgie Hermitage or push my wheelchair like Hannah Cockroft and you certainly won't see me on a bike. However, that doesn't give me an excuse to sit around  doing nothing. 

I'm a member of my local gym and I try and get there several times a week. It's easily accessible in a wheelchair, they have all the lifts and ramps I could possibly need. I can exercise in my chair on many of the machines and I'm fortunate enough to be able to transfer onto many of the others. They have great disabled facilities and the staff and other members have been incredibly helpful. 

Going to the gym has not only been good for me physically but also mentally. My concentration is better and the periodic depression I have seems so much more manageable. 

I discovered this morning that of all the hundreds of members,  I am the only wheelchair user who has ever joined. I find this a little disheartening,  I'm not saying everyone can do as much as I can but unless you try how do you know what you're capable of? 

New Year resolutions are still a way off,  so why not try the gym tomorrow? No ifs,  buts or maybes, give it a go.  Who knows where it will lead,  maybe you'll feel a bit better or maybe you'll end up in Tokyo in 2020. 

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Milo. Anyone else here a member of their local gym or a sports club?
  • balles
    balles Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi @Milo. I was born without a left hand and I enjoy doing some bodybuilding. I can't use regular weights but I'm always learning new ways to exercise, for example, using bands and my own weight.  

The last year, I decided to take surfing lessons. I always wanted to try it, but I had self-destructive thoughts like 'I can't do that'.
    Luckily I started to change my thoughts and I understood that the bigest obstacle it's me. 

I've learned to take a risk and now I feel more self-confident and free. The feeling in the waves is amazing!

Brightness