Feeling nervous about change from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling nervous about change from DLA to PIP

pixieice
pixieice Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I am proundly deaf, BSL user, just received your letter to change from DLA to PIP, feeling nervous about all changes, and if will continue with same or less.

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi pixieice

I work for the Benefits Training Co and we are helping Scope and the online community.

There is a good chance you will get the same through PIP as you do through DLA, although there are no guarantees of course!

A good place to start is this overview of PIP which also contains links to other resources. You probably realise that most working age DLA claimants will not be able to avoid PIP over the next couple of years and so it is good you are checking things out.

It's important to keep to the dealines set on your letter from the DWP because your DLA may stop sooner if you delay a claim to PIP. But then again you probably don't want to apply for PIP before you have to. You can find more information about the transfer process here.

It will be useful to look at the points system which PIP uses: you need 8 points for the standard rate, and 12 for the enhanced rate (that applies to both components). You can have a look at the points system here.

I hope this helps.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• shelliemarie
    shelliemarie Community member Posts: 57 Listener
    ive been refused pip on both parts
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    edited September 2016

Hi shelliemarie 

I work for the Benefits Training Co and we are helping Scope and the online community.

I'm sorry to hear your PIP claim has been refused. I'm assuming you disagree with the decision and want to challenge it in which case the first thing to do is to write to the DWP informing them that you disagree with the decision and asking them to reconsider. This is called a mandatory reconsideration and you should make your request as soon as possible and within one month of the date on the decision letter.

You can also do this by telephoning the DWP but I would advise it is better to put your request in writing if possible and keep a copy. 

You should tell them why you think the decision is wrong and what the right decision should have been. For example you could tell them which points you think you should have scored and why. It could be there are statements made on the decision letter that you disagree such as you don't need aids or adaptations or help from another person in relation to certain activities. If this is the case state that you disagree and give examples of when you do need aids/adaptations or help from another person. 

This is the first step in challenging a decision you disagree with and for an overview of the whole process it is worth having a look here Appeal a DWP benefits decision.

It also worth pointing out that although over 60 per cent of mandatory reconsideration of PIP decisions leave the award unchanged, 65 per cent of PIP decisions are overturned by tribunal. So don't be put off from challenging even if after the mandatory reconsideration the decision stays the same.

Finally if you want to talk about this in more detail please get in touch with the helpline on 0808 800 3333 or email helpline@scope.org.uk

Paul

• julierose
    julierose Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    i have been on high rate mobilty for several years it was indefinate period however with the change to PIP i have no idea what results will be ,i had an assesor come to my home a few weeks ago but still not heard but i guess they must be very busy ..i do understand the changes were needed,i may not get PIP i dont know ,in a way despite all problems we still are lucky to even have this sort of thing on offer to us ..so i just humbly wait and accept what desicion they make.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi julierose

I hope you get a good decision and that you don't have to wait too long.

The important thing to remember about a decision affecting entitlement is that if you don't agree with the outcome there is a way to challenge it.

The biggest problem I see with benefits is not created by changes to the system or the criteria but by poor decision making, a view supported by the amount of decisions changed by tribunals. So many decisions are wrong in the first place but sadly for some people challenging them is not possible for a variety of reasons.

So good luck julierose, I hope that you don't need to challenge the decision and that in your case they get it right first time but remember if they don't there is help available.

Paul

• julierose
    so i still have not heard anything from PIP however i still recieved my usual DLA today ..is that just to cover whilst they consider i thought DLA hhad stopped ..so confusing all this change 
  • shelliemarie
    i had my assessment then i got a letter to say im not entitled to pip which im appealing but on that letter they said my dla will end on a certain date
  • julierose
    i still have not heard anything about my claim ,but now im guessing that if i got the DLA then im not going to get PIP ... gosh im so confused 
  • shelliemarie
    have you had a letter yet to say if you are going to get pip when i  got my letter to say i wont get pip it states on there when your dla will end
  • julierose
    no i have not had anything except a letter to say sorry they taking so long  ,they came to my home on 6th september  so a month now ,maybe they forgot me lol :)
  • shelliemarie
    ok im just waiting for their decision on my manatory reconsieration which they wont change have to go for a tribuanl they send me a text to say they are looking into it
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @julierose,

Your DLA will continue until a decision is made about your PIP. Once PIP has been decided the DWP will advise you when your DLA will stop. Your PIP payments will start the day after the DLA stops. I hope this helps. All you can do is wait for them to make their decision now and take reassurance from the fact that your DLA will continue until a decision is made about the PIP.

If you get a negative decision please see this thread which I've just added to https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/30192/lost-lower-rate-mobility-pip-the-assessor-decided-i-could-do-all-the-things-i-said-i-couldnt#latest

@shelliemarie, how did you get on with the MR letter, did you find the 'How to win a PIP appeal' guide helpful?

Please keep us updated and sorry that there's sometimes a delay in replying, we're pretty swamped here at the helpline but we're trying really hard to make sure we can reply in good time.

Good luck
    Debbie :)

• julierose
    thankyou and i  think you do a great job ,  :)
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Aww thank you so much for that @julierose, it really means a lot :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.