Hearing aids — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing aids

Options
dawnie55
dawnie55 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
hi vicki I was wandering if you could tell me how long I have to wait for NHS hearing aids to be sorted, I contracted Meningjitis pnuemoccial ,a brain absess and a stroke in may this year I have been left with no hearing in right ear and a bit in left ,I have had all the tests couple months ago but heard since I just wandered how long will take  thankyou
           Dawn

Comments

• Riceer
    Riceer Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    It must be a Post Code Lottery as to where you live I live in Herefordshire. After haveing my hearing tested I had both hearing aids fitted Two weeks later with (NHS) Scrivens
  • Yiman60
    Yiman60 Community member Posts: 95 Connected
    edited October 2016
    Options
    dawnie55 said:
    hi vicki I was wandering if you could tell me how long I have to wait for NHS hearing aids to be sorted, I contracted Meningjitis pnuemoccial ,a brain absess and a stroke in may this year I have been left with no hearing in right ear and a bit in left ,I have had all the tests couple months ago but heard since I just wandered how long will take  thankyou
               Dawn
    I live in Scotland and my first experience was a disaster. The staff did not believe I had such a big difference in hearing between both ears. Then they lost the referral for an operation and I had to go back to the start. I asked my GP for a referral to Edinburgh. What a difference. Saw a Proffesor who believed m. Sent me for a MRI scan to find they could not operate, the gap was too small.
    I now have two different style hearing aids , what a difference it makes.
    First of all I am so sorry about your illness and the resulting hearing loss.
    Suggest you phone your Consultants Secretary at the hospital and ask what the current situation is .
    You could also ask your MSP , MP for support.

http://www.bda.org.uk/

http://www.carersuk.org/

You could ask for an assesment of your needs and whoever helps you.

• dawnie55
    Options
    Thanks yiman60 I think something has got mislaid, I have had brain scan aswel as all the normal test the result was that the audiologist said that I had severely damaged hearing in right ear and bad in left, said they would try one in right ear but couldn't promise it would help but the left ear would benefit from one and that was beginning of August and still waiting for appt.im pleased they have helped you though 
  • Yiman60
    Options
    dawnie55 said:
    Thanks yiman60 I think something has got mislaid, I have had brain scan aswel as all the normal test the result was that the audiologist said that I had severely damaged hearing in right ear and bad in left, said they would try one in right ear but couldn't promise it would help but the left ear would benefit from one and that was beginning of August and still waiting for appt.im pleased they have helped you though 
    It took 2 years of messing about by first hospital. I kept ringing up and was told time after time there was a long waiting list. Had someone bothered to check properly they would have found out there had been no referral. There's a new system in place now to double check it's been received . Had the first hospital done a MRI scan they would have come up with the correct answer. Only consolation is that I had not reached the operating table and found out then.

Honestly it makes a huge difference . The only issue I have is that one of the hearing aids has a full mould and it gets uncomfortable in the summer. You have to be careful with the modern type you don't knock it out, it's easy to do.
    It takes a little while to get used to them but stick in it makes a huge difference.

Make that phone call on Monday, chase them up.
  • dawnie55
    Options
    I will my consultant said last week he was going to chase it up for me ,will let you know how get on thanks
  • Yiman60
    Options
    dawnie55 said:
    I will my consultant said last week he was going to chase it up for me ,will let you know how get on thanks
    http://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/are-you-eligible/

It little things like this which help. 
  • Yiman60
    Options
    http://www.peoplefirstinfo.org.uk/health-and-well-being/health-conditions/hearing-loss.aspx

My cousin has a Carers assesment and she had special alarms fitted , once she goes to bed and takes her hearing aids out she can't hear anything. I can't remember exactly but there is a special vibrating pillow in case of Fire. I am sure the fire prevention officer at local fire station would advise.
  • Yiman60
    Options

Brightness