Want to help 19 year-old son to be independent, any suggestions? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Want to help 19 year-old son to be independent, any suggestions?

soulchic
soulchic Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm a mum of two sons who I love with all my heart . my youngest son is nearly 19 years old he never leaves the house he only feels safe at home he struggles to communicate with people ,he,s over weight which is mostly down to lack of exercise not going out he,s always had a communication problem and didn't do the last 3years at school we have tried counciling when he was younger I don't know which way to turn any suggestions ??? I just want to help him be independent .

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chantelleb92
    chantelleb92 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hey!

My name is Chantelle and im am a support worker in the Manchester area. I support lots of young people. I have experience in working with a young person who had difficulty in communicating, due to similar reasons, we spent time chatting and getting to know each other and going out into the community together and it really helped. Like Danny said commenting, the best thing is to go somewhere quiet first. Even just for a walk or look around. For some time together to talk. His anxiety will lower the more he becomes comfortable and familiar with places. Maybe he needs to build a good relationship with someone new who he can spend time with, like a support worker and then after some time and doing activities together he may open up about his past 3 years. It sounds like something could of happened which has resulted in this. I am currently doing a mentoring course and know a lot about CBT. This would be a great programme for your son. Maybe you could mention this to your Gp.

Gaining good trustworthy relationships and lowering anxiety of going out will in the long run help with his independence. 

I hope this help, ask if you would like any more information :)
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    One of our Twitter followers had this to say: "We're about to start trialling a pod book. offers much more than pecs alone so far more conversational & motivating for our son"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness