ESA almost 9 weeks on. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA almost 9 weeks on.

eth5927
eth5927 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
put claim in almost 9 weeks ago being passed from pillow to post, told would have a decision last week still nothing, would it be worth our while trying to get our local mp involved, just had enough now.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • eth5927
    Hi hun we alays send everything recorded delivery have got recieps showing they have recieved documents supposed to be a call from them today, i really dont know what they are playing at.
  • [Deleted User]
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi eth5927,

You shouldn't have to wait 9 weeks for your benefit payment if the DWP have received your claim form, medical certificate and haven't asked you for more information.

You should ask for a short-term advance of benefit either at your local jobcentre plus or by ringing 0345 608 8545. You should make clear that you are in financial need because you have not received your benefit.

Post back if you have any problems and we can advise further.

Best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

• eth5927
    Hi there and thanku for you replies we had a phone call earlier a decision is being made in the next 2 days, they are trying to say the claim was shut down because they had not recieved our paperwork on time, that is rubbish i have the reciept from them when they recieved it now they have opened the claim up hence the decision in 2 days time. very strange 10 mins later another call to us asking us if we would like the rent payed to us or direct to our landlord and a letter has been sent today with details concerning the rent, if it wasnt so serious it would be laughable, please where do the dwp get these idiots from.
  • [Deleted User]
  • eth5927
    it is weird hun the whole system needs a good shake up.
  • [Deleted User]
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi eth5927,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your ESA claim and hopefully the matter will be sorted out soon but please post back on here if you are not happy with the outcome and we will do our best to advise you further.

Best wishes

Paul

• eth5927
    The 2 days have now gone by and still no decision, we have an appointment in the morning with our local mp anything now is worth a try, i have double checked all the paperwork and have tracked with royal mail the documents dwp said they had not recieved i have even seen the signiture of the person who signed for them, 
  • [Deleted User]
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hello eth5927

I think this is the sort of thing your MP should be able to help with. I would usually suggest you make a formal complaint where there is a suspected administrative error but you might find your MP can make it happen faster.

As others have said do post again if you feel you need further help.

David

• eth5927
    A quick update , we went to see local mp this morning, he is going to do his best for us he has all the details and the proof of this claim, will post again when i know more.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi eth5927,

As my colleagues say this delay is too long & you could ask for short-term advance payments. But hopefully things will move on now your MP is involved. 

You mention have a call and a letter about your rent? If you're claiming ESA, then help with your rent would be via housing benefit from the local authority. You might want to double check that they've got your claim & details of your tenancy agreement (or proof of change of circumstances if you were already claiming). Housing benefit can sometimes get suspended in cases like this where another benefit isn't being paid, but this shouldn't happen. You might want to ring the council just to make sure!

Do let us know what happens.

Will

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.