Benefits that can assist while not working? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits that can assist while not working?

Options

Comments

• buffywin
    buffywin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I have ASD level 1, and am having difficulties keeping a job due to my sensory issues, are there any benefits out there that can assist me while I'm not working? 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @buffywin

Have you seen the Benefits Calculator? Its a great resource that enables disabled people and their families to access independent information on welfare and disability benefits and other sources of financial help.

Sam

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi buffywin

Firstly I would echo the advice already provided by Sam in her post above and advise you to post back on here if you have any difficulties with the benefits calculator or if there's anything you're not sure of. 

Secondly, there is a benefit called personal independence payment that provides extra money to help if you’ve an illness, disability or mental health condition whether you’re working or not.

If you are not working then depending on where you live and on your circumstances will determine whether you can claim universal credit (UC). You can check this here  

If you are not able to claim UC then it will likely be jobseekers allowance if you are actively seeking and able to work or employment and support allowance if you are signed off as unfit or incapable of work by a doctor. In some limited circumstances income support remains an option but the benefits calculator should guide you through this. I have assumed as you mentioned working that you are working age.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.