Hi, my name is lesley48! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is lesley48!

Options
lesley48
lesley48 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm just sitting here in a daze, we lost our son of 23 years last weekend, haven't a clue about sickness benefit, I'm in support group for esa but they only pay my stamp as my **** of an ex wasn't paying it his side, I am in receipt of low rate care & mobility I have just been assessed by capita for this new pip allowance, thing is my husband is a self employed taxi driver so he cannot work, when he's not earning all my bills are starting to mount up, could he claim something, the doctor gave him a sick note to cover him for the next 4 weeks?? Sorry for the long post x

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Lesley, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I've moved your post to our benefits advisor category and they should be be able to advise you on your benefits. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Lesley

Sorry to hear about what has happened. In answer to your question it is possible that you could claim something but which benefit and who claims it depends on the level of national insurance contributions your husband has paid as a self-employed taxi driver. The contribution conditions for benefits are complex and if you are not sure what he has paid then I would advise you to contact a local advice service such as a law centre of a Citizens Advice Bureau for help from an experienced adviser, some local authorities or councils still fund advice services too so worth checking with them. 

The other things I need to know are how many hours does he usually work?does he claim working tax credits? do you pay rent and claim housing benefit?

Please post back on here with this information and we will try and advise you further

Best wishes

Paul
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So sorry for your loss @lesley48
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.