PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

kerrymari
kerrymari Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Comments

• kerrymari
    kerrymari Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have been awarded standard rate, means I lose my car whitch without it I will be left house bound and without my helpers as they don't drive , 1 lives around 7 miles away from me and another lives about 12 miles , as I have problems trusting and feeling safe around people I have not made friends where I now live , my 2 friends I have now known for 7 years and we all use to live very close together , I need my car also to get to my doctors, diabetic clinic, foot clinic , chemist , I can not walk very far because of my disability, plus because of my deformed Wright foot I can not wear any kind of foot wear which is dangerous, even more so because I'm type 2 diabetic insulin dependant , without my car I will not have any of my medication , I'm sure those who decide who gets what are trying to kill some of us off 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Hi @kerrymari - have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
     I was downgraded from higher rate DLA mobility to standard rate PIP mobility.  I am horrified at the large number of people who are losing their cars after PIP assessment, people whose disabilities sound even worse than mine.  Luckily, my car is my own, not Motability's.  

I'd suggest that anyone who does get enhanced mobility on appeal might like to think about buying a car, new or used, through Motability.  Motability don't promote their purchase scheme any more but I think that they still operate it people ask.  Eventually, the person will own their car and, if their mobility rate is downgraded after that, at least they won't lose their car.

As @Mickey says, you can appeal.  Most mandatory reconsideration requests fail - but latest figures show that 65% of appeals to tribunals win.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Kerrymari

You have mentioned a lot of mobility problems in your post, and despite this I am sorry to read that you are no longer entitled to Motability.

You are probably aware that you need to be on enhanced rate of mobility to qualify for Motability, and enhanced rate can be awarded to people for example who have difficulties walking more than 20 metres or they have problems with moving around and for example feeling anxious when outside.   

It is correct that you can challenge the PIP decision.  The first stage is called a Mandatory Reconsideration.  You can make this request over the phone or in writing, but it must be made within 1 month of the date of the PIP decision letter.

It is also worth noting that when requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration PIP can consider if the award you currently get is correct, and so there can be a risk.   

Please post again if you would like any further information.

Kind regards

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.