pip assessment results — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip assessment results

shazzirvine7180
shazzirvine7180 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
hi guys
i have never written on an forum so I am new to this. We have just got my husbands pip decision letter. The details of his assessment are on it and all I can say is it is total lies. I am so angry and so hurt. We trusted this woman to come into our home and assess my husband who got to distressed and upset during the assessment  and its all lies. Despite suffering a heart attack this year along with an aneurism in his head growing bigger they have kept us on the low rate that he was on when per iosly getting dla  before his condition  worsened. I just don't know what to do. 

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    edited December 2016
    Hi @shazzirvine7180, I'm sorry to hear of you and your husband's troubles. I've moved your post to our benefits advice category so you can some advice on this. 

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi shazzirvine7180,

It is quite common for people to find that the assessment doesn't really reflect what they said at the time of the assessment. The good news is this can be challenged and the DWP must look at other evidence you send in.

You can challenge the decision only to award the standard rate of PIP. To get the enhanced award you need to score 12 points or more.

First of all, have a look at the PIP criteria at http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/personal-independence-payment and decide which descriptors apply to your husband. Try and get supporting evidence from your husbands GP, nurse or other health professional to confirm this.

Secondly you need to ask the DWP to reconsider their award. You must ask them to do this within a calendar month of the date on the award letter. If the DWP do not change their award you can then appeal. There is more information on reconsiderations and appeals at http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/appeals

It might be worth checking with the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 to see if there are any advice agencies near you who will be able to help you with this.

Best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.