Benefits and work advice for my 20 year old son who has autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits and work advice for my 20 year old son who has autism

Options
sharwed
sharwed Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Please can I get some advice. My autistic 20 year old son has learning difficulties, mental health and some physical difficulties. He gets pips high care low mobility. He tries to work through agencies but can't hack it and gets ill or no longer required within a couple of weeks. What do I do please? Should I be getting esa for him? If so, how do I do that, and does he then just leave any work he's doing? Am at wits end! 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sharwed and welcome to the community.

There is a benefits calculator that may be able to help you in seeing what he could be entitled to and some great information on benefits here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi sharwed

Yes, if your son is unable to work due to illness then he could possibly make a claim to employment and support allowance however depending on where you live it could be a claim to universal credit instead. You can check if you are in a universal credit area by putting your postcode in here: universal credit

He would need a medical certificate from his doctor confirming he is unable to work due to illness.

Information about claiming either of the benefits I’ve mentioned can be found in the link that Sam posted in her reply but please post back on here if you need any further advice.

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.