PIP appeals — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeals

Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
Many members have posted recently that their PIP claims have been turned down. According to Disability Rights, 60 per cent of those who appeal win. So make sure you appeal and don't give up hope.  

Comments

• Beverley
    Beverley Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have appealed ,as the assessor didn't listen and told a load of lies . Found out today that they have turned my appeal down ,so now it's time for tribunal. I was on d.l.a. the highest for mobility and care .any advice would be appreciated .bev
  • buffalo
    buffalo Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    prepare carefully,  assemble your evidence.  Ask GP for a new summary of your conditions = this should be the front page of your GP record and there is no charge for asking for a print out of this.  if it is incomplete or incorrect, make a double appointment with your GP and ask the GP to write an NHS care plan in your notes.  this is also free and then you can get a copy.  
  • Matilda
    Both the Disability Rights and the Citizens Advice Bureau sites give advice about PIP appeals. Also you can go to see CAB who can help you make the appeal.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Please also see the pages on Scope's website which links to resources to help with PIP appeals. You can even find the SSCS1 form which you will need if you proceed to tribunal. http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip

Thank you @matilda for posting this. Hopefully it will give people the confidence they need to go ahead and appeal their decisions.

Please do share with us any tips that might be useful to others too such as @buffalo has kindly done.
    @Beverley sorry to hear that you have to go to tribunal. Check out the pages mentioned above and get in touch if you need further help.

Thanks everyone, you're all brilliant! :)
  • Matilda
    Received letter from DWP in response to my mandatory reconsideration request.  As expected, no change because that's the DWP's standard response, regardless.  So, still awarded standard rate daily needs and mobility.

Therefore, I'll have to appeal to a tribunal.  I think the DWP's case is weak.  For example, even though the DWP's own PIP Handbook states that assessment of walking should be outdoors, the decision maker says that she can't assess my outdoor walking so, because I was assessed as being able to walk 16 metres indoors on a flat, carpeted surface, she's decided that I can walk more than 20 metres outdoors!

How did those who have been to a tribunal and won find the whole process?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @Matilda,

Sorry it's been so long since I've been on here. I'm just trying to catch up with everyone. How are things with you? Do you have a date for a hearing yet? I see that the MR didn't change anything. 

Let me know how things are going and if there's anything I can do to help. If I'm not on here you can get in touch with me at the helpline just send an email to helpline@scope.org.uk.

Hope all is well with you and I look forward to catching up with you soon.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• Matilda
    Hi Debbie

Very nice to see you back on here.

I've only just sent in my appeal to the courts service.  I understand that PIP appeals can take up to six months to be heard so just a matter of waiting.

Thank you very much for all of your helpful advice, and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Matilda
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @matilda,

It can vary in terms of how long hearings take to get heard but generally speaking what i'm hearing here on the front line is the same as what you've heard too, around 6 months. You've worked incredibly hard on this so I hope you manage to have a nice break over Christmas.

A very Happy Christmas to you and yours and all the best for 2017! :)

Debbie x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.