PIP - expected to travel to assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP - expected to travel to assessment

Lorraine1974
Lorraine1974 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Recieving pip for past two years and i was sent a renewal form (despite being told i would be due a renewal October 2017) i sent form back with gp letter,neurologist + m.s nurse stating i have Spinal & Cervical Stenosis,Multiple Sclerosis, Severe Hyperhidrosis,Agoraphobia,Depression & Anxiety yet i'm expected to travel for an assessment as 'we are going off the info i sent..i maybe medicated to the eyeballs but i know 100% that it states ALL mentioned above..first assessment was at my home but now I've got even more reason (Stenosis diagnosed January this year so was called Chronic lumber pain) any advice would be appreciated..many thanks,Lorraine 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lorraine1974 welcome to the community!

@DebbieVoakes or any other members, do you have any ideas what Lorraine can do in this situation?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello @Lorraine1974,

It's a normal part of the process to start the PIP review process a year before the award is due to end, however PIP can be reviewed at any point which can make things even more confusing.

We seem to be seeing an increase in people being refused home visits because they are 'not eligible' and also an increase in people needing assessments on review when there has been a deterioration in their condition rather than an improvement.

May I ask which healthcare provider you are dealing with? Is it Atos or Capita?

My advice is to get a letter from your GP asking for a home visit or see your local MP and ask them if they can support you with this.

Let me know how you get on with this and don't hesitate to get in touch with your local MP, I've heard some really good outcomes after an MP intervention.

I hope that you're able to get this resolved soon. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hello @Lorraine1974 ,

The assessment contractor won't act on anything you sent to the DWP. Also the DWP won't act on anything said between you and the assessor, only what they type into the computer form.

Firstly, ask them via their contact phone number for a home visit and tell them why it is needed. You should ideally record this call.

Secondly, the assessment contractor is required to reimburse travel costs that they incur upon you. That is if they deem it reasonable and agree beforehand.

If you can travel by taxi then that should have a high chance of approval. Also consider a companion/carer's costs, if needed.
    You would need a quote from the taxi firm if you can find one that will co-operate with such nonsense.
  • Lorraine1974
    Thanks for reply...assessment is with Capita,as was first assessment which they done at my home without me needing to ask (with having agoraphobia just thought that was the reason) Lorraine x
  • catchacold2
    catchacold2 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hello @Lorraine1974 the rule of thumb is if someone attends GP surgery or indeed shops then they will be expected to attend an assessment centre. If this is not the case then a GP supporting letter will go a long way.
  • Lorraine42
    Lorraine42 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I've recently moved to gp surgery closer to my home (less than a 5min drive away) so i did see a gp who also wrote sick note to enclose with form which i did but when i rung pip to rearrange assessment they said they had no supporting evidence of my conditions even though i enclosed several letters from m.s nurse,neurologist and gp...got myself in a right state worrying about this..making me worse,i never go anywhere else apart from hospital/gp appointments both of which are now on my doorstep.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    I'm sorry but not surprised to hear this Lorraine42. Anyone pursuing PIP must expect the DWP to say black is white.

Claimants are an entry on a spreadsheet to these people and will never be anything more to them.

Going back to my first post you may need special transport to get to an assessment. The contractor should pay for this but they will resist.

I think you should brace yourself for a very strong push-back when your review finally comes through. Don't be put off by the process. They are relying on that.

Don't forget to keep everything for evidence including phone conversations.
  • catchacold2
    edited January 2017
    I've recently moved to gp surgery closer to my home (less than a 5min drive away) so i did see a gp who also wrote sick note to enclose with form which i did but when i rung pip to rearrange assessment they said they had no supporting evidence of my conditions even though i enclosed several letters from m.s nurse,neurologist and gp...got myself in a right state worrying about this..making me worse,i never go anywhere else apart from hospital/gp appointments both of which are now on my doorstep.
    You can present all evidence at the assessment if needed. Always best to have spare copies at hand and make sure that the assessor has all the relevant information. A GP supporting letter may help in getting a taxi ride arranged but if they see (example)
    you can shop/drive or attend GP surgery then this may be a problem
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Atos paid for my taxis to and from PIP assessment.  However, travel by taxi has to be agreed in advance by customer services.  I didn't have to provide any supporting evidence for requiring taxi travel.
  • catchacold2
    Lorraine42  Please keep us updated as it would be helpful info to many others :)
  • kaka
    kaka Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi everyone,
    good to be able to share the worries, that filling in LONG forms for pip/ finishing getting DLA. Reading this form / filling it in, to prove my Rhunatoid artrtitas is so disabling, is such an insult ( when people lose so much of their independence) who wants to say,I don't want to live my life like people who don't have these physical and painful lives,it's an insult to disabled people,sorry but, I'm tired trying to just get through the day with pain, without filling in scraps of paper, to prove I should be able to have a bit of dignity in my life.
    sorry every one, thanks for listening, it's my first time ever writing how I/ we feel.
    Happy New Year
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    Yes, @kaka - it's hard enough for disabled people just to cope with everyday life without having to suffer the stress of moving from DLA to PIP and attending assessments, after which the assessors and decision makers lie to minimise people's disabilities as much as possible.  Then in most cases people have the added stress of having to ask for mandatory reconsiderations followed by appeals to tribunals.
  • Lorraine1974
    Just spoke to pip via phone and they wont arrange a home visit without a gp's letter stating that i'm unable to leave my home to attend this review..although she did confirm evidence confirming i have Multiple Sclerosis, Spinal Stenosis ( lumbar & cervical ),Hyperhidrosis,Agoraphobia,Depression & Anxiety..what does it mean to be Agoraphobic? I've had this condition for nearly 10 years and was recently moved to support group for ESA due to this disorder,and was first assessed in October 2014 at my home?? More info appreciated no matter how small it may seem...every little helps :)
  • emkins40
    emkins40 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Get the GP letter and involve your MP it worked for me
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Will your GP give you that letter @Lorraine1974 ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • emkins40
    emkins40 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    My Gp did just 3 lines of letter while I was sat there! Took 3 mins! 
  • Lorraine1974
    Gp's on 2wek leave n assessments first thing in the morning..l did manage to see locum doctor and prescribed sedatives to 'help me cope' with this situation...i'm already having palpitations jus thinking about tomorrow,not getting a wink of sleep tonight :( 
  • Lorraine42
    Lorraine42 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    WON PIP APPEAL..ENHANCED FOR BOTH :smiley:
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If this has just occured you should ring DWP in a few days to make sure they have received a copy of the result
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.