Job sites for disabled people — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Job sites for disabled people

Options
oboudafcha
oboudafcha Community member Posts: 12 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is oboudafcha!.

Comments

• oboudafcha
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Are there any work job sites for disabled people?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @oboudafcha

There are a couple I've come across (sorry, not sure if they're any good):

http://www.evenbreak.co.uk/
    https://www.disabilityjobsite.co.uk/

Many charities offer services to help disabled people find jobs. You can see if Scope has a service near you:

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/services/employment

Most of the big job sites let you filter opportunities - for example if you need to be able to work at home or need to work part-time, you can just search for jobs that let you do that. 

Hope that helps.

• oboudafcha
    Options
  • Ajk110
    Ajk110 Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options

@Alex has suggested the best sites. I know Evenbreak well and I am a fan of it. There is also diversityjobs.co.uk which is not specifically targeted to disabled job seekers but employers who advertise on it do have a commitment to inclusive recruitment.

Scope, of course, do provide services as do other charities. I would also look to see if there are any services supporting job seekers with a particular disability, for example there are organisations that work specifically with those who have a learning disability and one that works with blind people.

Apart from that, look for the Disabilityconfident logo on adverts and, if you can, try and find out what the employers have to say about disability, diversity and inclusion. Good luck.

• Helsbels41
    Helsbels41 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    My 19 year old son who is ASD / Aspergus is currently on what is laughing called an entry level life skills college course. ( Next step after leaving school ) he hates it. Says there are only 3 people in his group now and only there for 5 hours a week, although it was 4 days a week to start with. He is desperate to find paid work so these sites are a great place for us to start looking. Thank you so much
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Options
    There is some more info about looking for work at http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/work/jobseekers

Good luck!
  • Helsbels41
    Helsbels41 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
  • oboudafcha
    Options
    Thank you will look at thoughts websites 
  • Roug3_D3mon99
    Roug3_D3mon99 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    To be honest I find it's like a never ending obstacle race trying to get into work as a disabled person. I've been back & forth the jobcentre seeing a DEA - his side of things I can't fault but sometimes you feel like you're being pushed from pillar to post.

It is frustrating especially when you're not able to do 9-5 etc but still want to make a contribution to society - all most people want is a chance.
  • oboudafcha
    Options
    You are right, it's so hard to find the right job which is suitable for people With disabilities, some of the roles I have seen are crazy, starting very early working in factories, lifting packing etc. That's really difficult for me because I have MS
  • Roug3_D3mon99
    Roug3_D3mon99 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I know there is obligation to an interview but they've done away with the 2 tick & brought in a new one - which means basically employers are trusted to govern themselves when comes to disability whereas under the tick it was governed.
    If you ask me if your "an easy" case to get into work they will if not you're kinda ushered to the back of the queue 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.