Work advice - can I ask for adjustments to hours? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work advice - can I ask for adjustments to hours?

rhian11
rhian11 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I need some advice , I have been offered a full time job. However I have an acquired brain injury as a result of Enchephilitas a few year ago. I know I will struggle with working the full 37.5 hrs a week. I am allowed to request reasonable adjustment to the hrs. 

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi Rhian11,
    As long as I know you always can propose to future potential employer and negotiate the hours you can do. Request from Gp Dr letter to state your condition and how many hours will be reasonable in your circumstances. 
    Perhaps, if you wish and employer agree- you could do job share.
    When I worked for my previous company for 6 years, during course I changed 3 times my contract to reduce the numbers of hours. Once per year you can notify your employer of wish to reduce or increase the hours. If you just starting the job and did not sign contract yet tell what your abilities is/ what you can do and what you do not agree to do. 
    I hope I could build up a bit your confidence so you can back  to employer for more discussion. Also I think if you are connected with disability adviser by Job Centre  she/ he should talk on your behalf.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rhian11 welcome to the community.  There is lots of information on reasonable adjustments to work on the Scope website that might be helpful.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @DebbieVoakes do you have any thoughts?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    Hi @rhian11
    I would ask to have a informal discussion with the employer offering you this full time role. Talk to them about a) whether they would consider reduced hours as a reasonable adjustment for this role. Reduced hours is a reasonable adjustment but an employer does not have to do all recommend/proposed  reasonable adjustments b) if you want to give full time a go be honest about your concerns and ask the employer if you can build up to the full 37.5 hours gradually so you can see if you could manage c) Ask about options to work from home as this can help with fatigue etc.

Hope this helps

best wishes 
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    I agree with everything said here except that reduced hours may or may not be reasonable.
    If the employer does not get the amount of work done that they need or if a position needs to be manned for the whole working day then it is not reasonable.

My experience is that is is best to be open and honest. If they are good people they will help. If they are bad people then it is better to find out sooner rather than later.
  • Jackie
    Jackie Community member Posts: 24 Connected

Hi Rhian11

Headway is a national charity supporting people with acquired brain injury and they produce some useful factsheets. One of these is entitled "Returning to work after brain injury". If you click on the following link it will take you to this. Perhaps call their helpline and ask their advice as well as they will be well used to dealing with this common scenario:

http://https//www.headway.org.uk/media/4130/returning-to-work-after-brain-injury.pdf https://www.headway.org.uk/media/4130/returning-to-work-after-brain-injury.pdf

Hope this helps.

Jackie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.