taken off esa and forced to go self employed - any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

taken off esa and forced to go self employed - any advice?

Lilly_Ann1957
Lilly_Ann1957 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, my illnesses are rheumatoid arthritis, fybromyalgia and heart problems, at present i am able to be mobile for most of the time and make the best of my good days as I call them whilst they last however with all the benefit changes and being taken off esa and forced to go self employed, I do struggle more and more any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Lilly_Ann1957,

One question would be whether you want to challenge the ESA decision. How long ago was it? Did you ask for a mandatory reconsideration?

If you don't want to go down that route, or it was a long time ago, then let's concentrate on what you're doing now. If you are self-employed, make sure you keep as good an account as you can of your hours. That's because you might be able to get help on top of your wages.

Are you claiming PIP? With the conditions that you mention, PIP daily living and maybe mobility component are possible, depending on how the conditions affect you and the frequency of the problems. You can have a go at a PIP 'self-test' here.

Depending where in the country you are, you might be able to get Universal Credit on top of your self-employed wages, or elsewhere in the country, Working Tax Credit (depending on your hours, and whether you get PIP), and/or maybe some Housing Benefit.

You are welcome to give us a bit more information, or try checking your benefits yourself, starting with the benefits calculator.

You may already know this, but stopping work and claiming ESA again can be difficult because you might not get paid whilst you are waiting for your assessment. But if you have got worse, then it's possible to get ESA during that 'assessment phase' - you'd have to show that your condition had significantly worsened (the DWP will think about whether you would now be likely to pass the medical).   

Do post back if you need more help.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi Lilly_Ann1957,

There are some useful links to sources of advice on self-employment at http://www.scope.org.uk/self-employment

Hope this helps, Alex
  • sue24
    sue24 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I found citizens advice helpful with my appeal to go to tribunal, or help to get back onto ESA, 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.