How do you transport you and your power chair. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you transport you and your power chair.

mossycow
mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
Received amazeballs news of higher rate PIP and after years struggling with manual wheels I will also be having a power chair. So my question is,  how do you get around in car l/bus /train etc?  Have been researching hoist for car but looks unlikely..

Just wanted your input if you use power chair or know about these things,  thanks.  Also general tips would be great.....  Like... Er.... What happens if it rains?! 

Comments

• mossycow
    P. S.  I'm so excited!!!  Just being able to walk/roll out the house and go to shops,  school etc is the biggest thrill of my life right now. 
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    hi mossycow,ive just had electric chair, well in august, i bought a car on ebay that had been converted so a ramp comes down the back for the chair to come out, it had only done 19,000 miles, it cost £3,500  and they delivered to my door for that, of corse i checked all the paper work out via emails ect  what a bargain i had, the man who sold it told me a lot of people were loseing there cars because of pip, and there are a lot about going already converted. oh and when it rains you get wet.
  • nanof6
    i forgot to say the train is very good as long as you ring the ststion let them no you are comming, well i phone for my tickets one third off with my disable rail card, they arange for ramps when you arrive, they are very good, the plane is great as well, very helpful. i  never use the bus so dont no, there are some taxi firms useing taxis with ramps, that might depend where you live.hope i have been of some help for you.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @mossycow how are you getting on with your power chair?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mossycow
    Oh! So good!  It's fantastic,  truly been life changing! 

I've found I don't use the car nearly as much.  I've made a pointof going to all sorts of places and gradually I've become more and more confident.  I literally breath with relief as I go along. 

Bus was a little tricky.... But getting much easier with practise.  I've got my bus pass now and just about to get bus pass with free companion on too. 

We're going for a little one night break to my favourite city where we used to live  (Edinburgh)  which was impossible before...  We can't wait! Am looking forward to trying the train ☺ 

Have met more people  been to more place in the last 6 weeks than I have the 4 years before.  Am very lucky. 
  • nanof6
    mossy, dont forget to let the train station no when you are going,so they can arrange help. have a great time.
  • mossycow
    Thank you! I can't wait! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great news!!!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness