Assessed as fit to work and going through appeal - osteoarthritis and osteoporosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessed as fit to work and going through appeal - osteoarthritis and osteoporosis

sue24
sue24 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
HI I just joined and have osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, I am going through an appeal at the moment waiting to go to court as they have again said I m fit to work, and now at ESA have put me on basic of £73 week as was told can't get my disability benefit s that I usually get till I have had my appeal ¡!how do they think you can survive after 6 yrs without this extra money. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sue24 welcome to the community and sorry to hear that you are struggling.  There are lots of people here who have been through the appeal process so I am sure you can find some similar experiences here.

Looking forward to chatting with you.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • sue24
    This is the second time I've been to court,just wish these people understood how this disease makes you feel, I didn't ask to get it after 40 yrs  working they try to make you feel guilty. I know that's lots of other people go through the same situation, 
  • grandad5
    grandad5 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Sue I've allready won an appeal and have just been for an assessment again on the 6 December and still waiting to hear the out come and can you believe I'm in a pip assessment to change from dla to pip this system is a joke right now good look the appeal judge will see threw the dwp 
  • sue24
    HI I have pip and a carer, and agree it's a joke for people with a disease yet alcoholic s and fat people seem to get better treatment and that's self inflicted 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I think we need to make sure we are being fair and not judgemental to others @sue24 - alcoholism is widely seen as a disease and is a complex and very difficult issue.  People who are overweight may have lots of reasons behind their weight.  

One-upmanship on disability doesn't help anyone.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • billyboy
    billyboy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I was getting incapacity benefits but they were stopped because my wife has a full time job. I get 
    DLA but that's it. I have osteoarthritis of both hips and can hardly walk. Is there any benefits I am entitled to 
  • grandad5
    It depends on your age you can't av dla wen you get to 65 it has another name not pip either can't think of its name help anyone
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    It's called Attendance Allowance. 

This is from the Age UK website:

What is Attendance Allowance?

You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance if your ability to keep safe or look after your own personal care is affected by physical or mental illness or disability.

Attendance Allowance has 2 weekly rates, and the rate you get depends on the help you need. You’ll get:

• £55.10 if you need help in the day or at night
    • £82.30 if you need help both in the day and at night.

These rates apply from April 2016 to April 2017.

• sue24
    Sam_Scope said:
    I think we need to make sure we are being fair and not judgemental to others @sue24 - alcoholism is widely seen as a disease and is a complex and very difficult issue.  People who are overweight may have lots of reasons behind their weight.  

One-upmanship on disability doesn't help anyone.

• sue24
    Yes some people have genuine cases,yrs ago you would very rarely see an obesity, but alcoholism has always been around through different reasons, I was 12 in the late 1960s and saw this for myself, I don't judge people for there disability 
  • sue24
    WaterLily said:
    It's called Attendance Allowance. 

This is from the Age UK website:

What is Attendance Allowance?

You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance if your ability to keep safe or look after your own personal care is affected by physical or mental illness or disability.

Attendance Allowance has 2 weekly rates, and the rate you get depends on the help you need. You’ll get:

• £55.10 if you need help in the day or at night
    • £82.30 if you need help both in the day and at night.

These rates apply from April 2016 to April 2017.

Is attendance allowance the same as a carers allowance? 
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Hi sue24,
    No, attendance allowance is not the same as carers allowance. 

Attendance allowance is for personal use, just like the daily living/care component of PIP. You can spend it as you wish. 

The criteria for carers allowance is the same for anyone who cares for someone for 35 hours a week or more. 

• sue24
    Hi,thank you for letting me know water lily
  • garynp11
    garynp11 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    sue24 said:
    HI I just joined and have osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, I am going through an appeal at the moment waiting to go to court as they have again said I m fit to work, and now at ESA have put me on basic of £73 week as was told can't get my disability benefit s that I usually get till I have had my appeal ¡!how do they think you can survive after 6 yrs without this extra money. 

• garynp11
    garynp11 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi. After the assessment was carried out you get to see the assessor report and how the DWP decision maker scored your case 
  • sue24
    Yes I know as this is the second time I have had assessment, it just seems to get more stress and anxiety while I'm waiting 
  • grandad5
    If you won your last appeal  then I can't see  one judge over turning  another judges desion  one can't grant  an overturn if you haven't changed since you last won should be OK good luck 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.