EBike discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

EBike discrimination

PeterDawe
PeterDawe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
The new eBike regulation means that anyone who can pedal can go at 25kph, whereas if you can't its limited to 10 kph

This applies to three and four wheels too

Is anyone doing anything about this?

Harmonisation with EU law has had an important effect on electric bikes with ‘twist and go’ throttles that can take the bike to full speed without any pedalling at all.

From January 1 2016, the only throttles legal within the UK’s EAPC legislation are those that assist the rider without pedalling up to a maximum speed of 6 km/h (3.7 mph) – ie starting assistance only.

If the rider is rolling – but not pedalling – faster than 6km/h, the throttle cuts off. If the cyclist pedals at the same time then the throttle can still assist up to the general limit of 15.5mph.

If you bought an ebike with a full-speed throttle before January 1 2016, don’t panic: those sold prior to this date are still considered as EAPC and do not require a registration or taxed. Practically, you could still buy one a ‘twist and go’ and not be fined, but it would have to have been produced or imported before January 1.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/electric-bikes-uk-law-234973#KPMFTUw8sSfRAUOx.99

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    Hi @PeterDawe

I hadnt heard about this.  How does it affect you?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • rosscolfc
    rosscolfc Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    I really want an ebike but I can't justify (well afford) £750-£1000 they cost, would do me wonders as a form of physio. I've looked into grants but don't really know where to start! 

Seems a a bit odd the rules, but I think like the moto-scooter craze of a few years ago it's been done to stop people (kids) having a device that's as powerful as a low cc scooter but without the need for a licence. 

• PeterDawe
    PeterDawe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    On local cycle lanes, the "long-distance monility scooter" people mix dangerously with the cyclists going twice the speed.
  • Jonno
    Jonno Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    I lost my motability Car after getting 0 points for Pip due to a liar of an assessor. I have no intention of being a prisoner in my home so I converted a cheap bike to an ebike with a throttle that can reach 20 mph for about £450 it was simple to do and I don't care about the law as it is discriminatory and welcome being able to put my case in court. My experience has been thatb police have seen me keeping up with the traffic without pedalling and have taken no notice. The only modification I found was needed was to fit disk brakes 

Brightness