Insane and incredibly annoying spasms — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Insane and incredibly annoying spasms

Dm1985
Dm1985 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi,

I'm 31. I have CP. I'm married. 

I love my life and usually my CP doesn't really bother me, in fact I hardly notice it.

I'm just having problems lately with my spasms. They are ridiculously more, much more intense and it's driving me absolutely crazy. I usually feed myself dinner and the other night my husband had to take over. I've been up all night and couple of times because the spasms are that bad. 

I just wondered if anyone else experiences periods like this? 

Comments

• Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    Hi @Dm1985

Welcometo the Scope Community! Good to have you on board. I hope you find many discussions to join in with on the categories page
    https://community.scope.org.uk/categories

I find that my muscle spasms can be worst during the cold weather and also when I am suffering from fatigue most. You might like to look at the discussion thread on what the community members here have felt helpful with managing their CP. This discussion can be found here

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/28690/things-that-you-have-found-helpful-for-managing-your-cp#latest

Hope this helps

Best wishes

• Dm1985
    Thanks very much 
  • Stayce
    edited January 2017
    Hi @Dm1985
    You are most welcome. I would definitely recommend heating the areas you are experiencing spasm in either via wheat bag/hot water bottle or heat pad or cura heat patches. Along with using Epsom salts in the bath (you can buy bags of this on amazon quite cheaply). Arnica oil is also good in bath water (you can buy this in boots). Acu patches will also work (magnetic plasters) which can also be picked up in boots (pricey though) - check you can use these first though as not suitable for other health conditions 

Magnesium sprays or supplements will also work well for spasms, but please check with a healthcare professional about taking magnesium supplements particularly if you are taking any other medication 

Hope this helps

Best wishes 
  • Stayce
    edited January 2017
    Hi @Dm1985
    Just remembered this discussion thread may also be useful too

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/76556#Comment_76556

Let  us know how you get on.

Hope starts improving soon 

Best wishes 
  • Dm1985
    Tbanks,  I really appreciate the advice.

I also think weather is a factor, my spasms seem to be worse if it's particularly hot or cold. However at the moment they seem to be much worse. I am on some medication. But I don't really want to be on it all the time. I usually take Clonazepam at night, just before bed and Amitriptyline in the evening. Normally this is enough to relax. I guess I just wanted to know if it is a CP thing, I think it is and that reassures me a bit. 

Thanks again,

Brightness