Should I give up my job? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I give up my job?

highway69
highway69 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my name is Carol I am 60 years old and I am currently working full time. I suffer from fibromyalgia a chronic and non curable condition. I receive pip but not enough to keep me should I stop working. My illness is getting worse and I'm not sure what to do to be honest. Who do I turn to about my situation on help should I give up my job ?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @highway69 welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear you are struggling.  I have a chronic illness and part of it is fatigue so I can understand just how tough it can be.

I found this information on the Scope website about support at work, do have a read through these pages.

"Your employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled staff members. This duty aims, as far as reasonable, to ensure disabled employees have the same access to everything they need for doing and keeping their job as a non-disabled employee. These reasonable adjustments apply to physical features of the premises, or any other aspect of the role which causes a substantial disadvantage to you, the disabled employee, compared to a non-disabled employee.

Employers also have a duty to provide you with additional aids where this would reduce or remove a substantial disadvantage. This includes providing information in accessible formats, such as easy-to-read or large print.

Many adjustments can be made at low or no cost to your employer. There is help out there to assess what adjustments may be necessary for you to do your job. What is reasonable for your employer to do depends on the size and nature of the organisation.

The government's Access to Work scheme can provide practical advice and support to help you overcome work-related issues. It can also give you grants towards extra employment costs."

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hello Highway69

Just to mention that if you reduce your hours you may also be entitled to Working Tax Credit.  This benefit tops up a low income for people with a disability/health problem who work at least 16 hours a week.

If working feels like it is becoming too much then you may be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance.  This is a benefit for people who are unable to work.

There is also a benefit calculator on the Scope website which may help you find out how much benefits entitlement you may receive, if you reduce your hours of work or you give up work.

Please post again, if you are unsure. 

Regards

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.