mobility assistance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mobility assistance

6less
6less Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Became a below knee amputee through undiagnosed condition 9 years ago aged 46. Suffered from (progressively worse) rheum arthritis since age 30. Now had to have big toe ray amputation on remaining foot due to osteomyelitis. Mobility gradually deteriorating but don't seem to qualify for any mobility assistance to help me continue full time employment.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @6less,

Welcome to the community. 

What sort of mobility assistance would you need to continue full time work?
  • 6less
    Mainly the cost. Where I work is out in the countryside so I need a reliable vehicle and for accessibility it needs to be a reasonable size. As country road conditions can be bad in winter for peace of mind it also really needs to be a 4x4. All of this is expensive both to buy and run. 
    Looking at the descriptors for PIP the qualifying distances seem very short for me to qualify for help. For example using a prosthetic leg and cane for balance I can walk more than 50 metres at the start of the day but as the day progresses this distance shortens and the discomfort turns to pain. This can impact my mobility for both the rest of the day and subsequent days.I'm also concerned about the long term effects of pushing the limits on my remaining foot following the fairly extensive ray amputation.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @6less - a PIP descriptor doesn't have to apply all of the time to qualify, only for 50% or more of the time.  And the walking distances mean that you can only walk that distance before you need to stop and rest for a minute or so.  You can then repeat this pattern for as long as you are able.

I suggest that you read both the Disability Rights and CAB guides to PIP, on their websites.  The former is better overall, but the CAB makes a very good point about which box to tick in the getting around sub-section of the mobility section. 

• 6less
    Hi Matilda,
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for guidance. Looking at the guides has certainly given me food for thought about how I need to approach any application I may make.
    One point that struck me was where they define standing as having "at least one biological foot on the ground". How Is this treated if only part of the foot is remaining?
    Anyway thanks again for your help
  • Matilda
    Hi @6less -  you are welcome.

I don't know the answer to your question about how standing is treated if only part of the foot is remaining.  You could phone the Scope Helpline and, if they don't know the answer, they might be able to direct you to a source that does.
  • tracy53
    tracy53 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I was under the impression that if you cannot do something repeatedly and in good time you are assessed as not being able to do it. Of course we're not told that!
  • Matilda
    Yes, @tracy53, you are right.  In fact the DWP's own PIP assessment guidelines state that if you cannot do something 'reliably' (various criteria) then you should be assessed as not being able to do the activity - link here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519119/personal-independence-payment-handbook.pdf

However, the DWP don't follow their own guidelines and award applicants lower points if they can't do an activity reliably!  I am appealing on just this basis.  Should be interesting how a tribunal view the DWP's discrepancy.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.