Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance

Robs
Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
Hi

I am in receipt of pension credits and higher rates for both components of PIP. My son receives £62.10pw carers allowance. I am 65 this July and wondered if this affects the amount my son receives in carers allowance? I also qualify for the severe diability component in my lesion credit and housing benefit. I have no other income and no savings.

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi Robs,

I'm a little worried by your post as if someone is getting carer's allowance for looking after you, you shouldn't be getting the severe disability premium in your pension credit. This premium is worth £61.85 per week.

Has your son recently applied for carer's allowance for looking after you? If so, you will probably be getting a letter advising you that you will be losing the severe disability premium in your pension credit soon.

If not, it might be worth ringing the Pension Service to check that your pension credit is correct and to avoid an overpayment.

This shouldn't affect your housing benefit as you will be receiving the maximum amount anyway as you are getting pension credit. However you should let them know that someone is getting carer's allowance for you so their records are correct.

Please post back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

• Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi Michael

I have checked this with the DWP SS department and l am not getting the severe disability component in my Pension Credit. So, my son is getting the carers allowance of £62.10.

Regards Rob

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.