What could I claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What could I claim?

karenmcshane64
karenmcshane64 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi still working at moment .i have fibromyalgia and losing a lot of time off work . Is there anything I can get if I don't work ? I have claimed PIP still waiting on reply 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @karenmcshane64 We have a benefits calculator you can fill in to see what you could be entitled to.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi @karenmcshane64. If you have to take time off sick, your employer would pay you Statutory Sick Pay which is £88.45 per week. You might also get some contractual sick pay - check your work contract to find out if any contractual sick pay will be paid.

You might qualify for Working Tax Credits as well to improve this as an income, but as Sam says, it's best to do a benefit check to see if in your personal circumstances, this or any other benefit is payable (it would depend upon your household composition an d income so for example whether you have a partner who is working, also on whether you have children. It also depends upon the type of housing you live in - owned or rented and if rented, from whom. Another factor is whether you live in a full Universal Credit area - this is the new benefit that's replacing other benefits for example tax credits, on a roll-out programme across the country).  

Potentially you can carry on getting working tax credit as you continue to  count  as being in full-time work, for the full period of the SSP claim - so 28 weeks. 

Alternatively you might be better off with income support, for example if you have a mortgage. Later on, you can claim Employment and Support Allowance. 

As you can see, the benefits system is quite complicated now, as there are two or three schemes running, and some of this depends upon where you live! Do phone the helpline if you get stuck with your research. 

Best wishes
    Gill
    Scope Helpline

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @karenmcshane64 how are you getting on? What happened with your PIP claim?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.