Did you acquire your impairment as an adult? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Did you acquire your impairment as an adult?

Comments

• Seachy
    Seachy Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    @MattStuart555 not knowing you or your whole history I cannot go in depth but having lived with chronic pain since my car accident along with numerous other issues and depression for 15 years now I do not see you as a coward at all. It takes a strong person to live every day in pain and I cannot imagine it continuing for as long as you have even though I know it will. 
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear of your stories fellow thread writers xx

@Alex I seem to have deleted your email, would you mind sending it again please as I thought the document was absolutely excellent and will be vital to so many people.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    @mossycow Sure, I've just sent it, thanks.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Great!  Thanks
  • Alex
    Massive thank you to everyone who has emailed me your thoughts on this. The feedback so far has been incredibly useful. If you've not emailed me back - there's still a couple of weeks left (although the sooner the better!). I look forward to hearing from you!
  • kevstar1
    kevstar1 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    I lost my sight in a work accident at 49years old am now registered blind suffer from panic attacks and anxiety issues
  • BeccaShark123
    BeccaShark123 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    I was diagnosed with joint hypermobility syndrome aged 21, and that was recently changed to Fibromyalgia aged 23. I wasn't diagnosed with dyspraxia until I was 19- everything I have, bar asthma, has been diagnosed in my young adulthood! :neutral:
  • Sealegs
    Sealegs Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Yes I was diagnosed with  Spastic Paraplegia when I was about 35.
  • Alex
    Thanks @kevstar1, @BeccaShark123, @Sealegs. I've emailed you all - let me know if you have any problems. Look forward to hearing your feedback.

• shelly_z
    shelly_z Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi....i started with my back problems when I was in my early 20s, finally got taken seriously after an MRI when I was 42, tried usual meds, physio, spinal injections, which finally led to surgery in 2014, after which got an infection, spent 5 weeks in hospital, had to have 3 wash outs, a vacpac inserted, went back to work for a 6 months, after struggling for the 6 months, had to admit defeat....which brings us to today, im under the umbrella term "failed back surgery syndrome" with extensive nerve damage and scar tissue. I'm awaiting a trial for a spinal cord stimulator, which hopefully will lead to being able to take less meds. Anyone's experiences regarding SCS would be gratefully received ☺
  • snakeman
    snakeman Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Late to the party, but I am disabled following an accident when I was thirty two, now forty one and happy to help
  • basiclee08
    basiclee08 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Hi Alex,Great idea and sounds like people on here  found it useful!. I was involved In a RTA 2 years ago which left me using a wheelchair. A Lot of physio and now starting to look and get back working only P/T as am not sure how my body is going to manage. Benefits system a total nightmare not sure on threshold to get disability tax credits how many hours to get them.DEA or like ghosts know were to be seen or found lol. Heard gov work schemes to avoid?.their should be a easier way to access help/advice. 

Cheers Lee
  • onmybiketoo
    onmybiketoo Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    2006 Hubby caught a staph infection left as an high level tetraplegic spinal cord injury at age 61. went over 4 days from extremely fit and healthy to now having to have round the clock care. 
  • emkins40
    emkins40 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Hi Alex, 
    I would like to help. My conditions only developed in 2011 following a severe car crash with prolonged concussion and brain injury leaving me with uncontrolled epilepsy. 
    Its something that really upsets me but my 3 children 15,13 and only 7 live mainly with my ex husband as I cannot care for them as I would wish. It breaks my heart. However, at least they have a relatively normal childhood. I do see them every 3 rd weekend and longer in holidays but I would do anything to be with them daily and give my youngest daughter the same opportunities I was able to give my older children. Just the bedtime stories and cooking with mum and days out. It has all been taken away.
  • Alex
    Thanks @emkins40 @onmybiketoo @basiclee08 @snakeman @shelly_z

I've emailed you all - let me know if you have any problems. Look forward to hearing your feedback.
  • pipster
    pipster Scope Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Diagnosed in 30s with bilateral hearing loss and tinnitus; just been diagnosed at 48 with rare disease Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia (hearing loss may well have been an early symptom)...a bit broadsided really and not sure where to turn. Any advice/support gratefully received.
  • Sarahmac83
    Sarahmac83 Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    I was diagnosed with borderline learning disabilities in 2005 I found that it made my life so much harder. I Also have  serve depression plus many physical health issues
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I was born with some of mine. I acquired a few as a teenager and acquired the rest as an adult. Most are permanent side effects of medication.
  • Jonesy1
    Jonesy1 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Alex said:
    Hi everyone,

We're developing a new online and print information product for people who have recently become disabled as an adult (rather than growing up with an impairment). The information covers common questions that people have around care, money, housing and equipment.

We have a draft version and we'd really like to get some feedback to see if we're covering the right questions and to see what you think of the answers! 

If you're interested, and acquired your impairment as an adult, please let me know below and I will send you a copy.

Thanks!

• Jonesy1
    Jonesy1 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    I would be interested I was diagnosed as partially sighted an

Brightness