PIP and being well kempt — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and being well kempt

francesca6963
francesca6963 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I've recently been awarded lower rate pip I'm so happy but I'm appealing as I feel my answers off atoms are lies and appalling also when I read through atoms report it said I looked well kemp what does that have to do with my claim so maybe if I went dirty and smelly I would have been awarded higher points 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, @francesca6963 - I think that Atos use 'kempt' as code for 'able to groom themselves well so can't be very disabled'!  My Atos assessor described me as 'kempt' and I was awarded only standard rate PIP.  I am appealing, too.  I think you are right that an applicant is likely to be awarded higher points if they look unkempt.  At my appeal, I think I'd better not appear too 'kempt'!

Moral of the story:  I'd advise applicants not to look very well groomed at their PIP assessments and appeals!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I had the same thing on my assessment, they didnt take into account that my husband had helped me in the shower that morning  :( 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    In time assessors' tricks will become well known and applicants will present themselves accordingly.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    when i had my assment he came at 9 in the morning, my help hadnt arrived, so i was still in my jimjams, as he pointed out, maybe thats why i got top marks
  • Matilda
    @nanof6 - I think your not being dressed certainly helped you get points.
  • emkins40
    emkins40 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    I was in bed! Certainly helped me. You must remember they need to know your worst day don't make an effort at all. Good luck Emma 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.