Book Club — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Book Club

Stayce
Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
edited January 2017 in Coffee lounge
Hi All,

We have shared our favourite books recently in the coffee lounge. So I was wondering what people are reading at the moment or listening to on audiobooks? What's the book about and would you recommend it to us on the community?

I have just finished Patrick Ness - A Monster Calls, which has just been made into a film with Liam Neeson as the talking tree. It's a very moving story, but so very sad.

I have just started Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere...

Look forward to hearing what you are all reading at the moment 
Best wishes

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I am currently reading Bill Bryson - Down Under and really enjoying it, my sister lives in Australia and so I thought I would learn a bit more about the place.  It is very interesting and funny and is making me want to go back down under!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 38 Courageous

Hello all,

I'm currently studying part time in attempt to complete my English Literature degree (I left after 2 years with a HND instead) so I'm constantly listening to all sorts of books on my commute to and from work (audiobooks have been a massive lifeline for me).

I'm about to listen to Wuthering heights again - but currently I'm listening to Stephen Fry read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire :) would absolutely recommend as I find Stephen Fry really easy to listen to, without falling asleep!

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I'm currently flitting between pasta,punctures & perseverance- a book about a guy with cp and his cycling adventures that I read about in a scope blog post, anatomy stretching and training for cyclists ( to give me inspiration to keep up with my cycle fitness training for the 18 mile ride I plan to do in September for my local hospice) and Jamie vardy's autobiography... I love sports books and autobiographies!
  • Cwtchfairy
    Cwtchfairy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi
    i have literally just started Mitch Albom's latest book ' The Magic  Strings of Frankie Presto'. 
    I have read all of his books as I think he is an amazing writer. My fave book of his though has to be 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven'. I've also got the film of that book ..... sobbed all the way through. But loved it!! 

The Cwtch Fairy 
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    HI last weekend I reread the book written by american journalist Regina Brett " BE THE MIRACLE: 50 lessons for making impossible possible". Regina Brett is breast cancer warrior and survival. 
    Than I reread again "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint Exupery. 
    Now I am reading the book written by life mentor Nick Vujicic " No limbs, No limits" and planing to read the BFG by Roald Dahl. 
    I have few books from library for kids as well as I find them very inspirational. 
    And collection of books in English which I bought or got donated few years ago and never had time to read ( for example "The woman who saved the children". It is about Eglantyne Jebb who funded Save the children charity). I did not have time to read  yet and it is waiting  good few years for me. :( 
    I love books as I always find them very inspirational and look for  quotes for life and learn about other people's  life. 

If I find any book extremely value I am planning to create a presentation about it. This days not all kids read the books from begging to end. Some of them do not understand contest. 
    But I found also that these days are really talented writers and illustrators than when I was a child. 

I love the idea for the topic created here. 
    Awaiting father recommendation. 

If any one would like to share the book which brought lots of inspiration to life or uplifted feelings, added energy and motivation to keep with difficulties of life please let me know. 

I already ask one group I follow on FB (elated to  my condition)  about the most inspirational book they came across  but only 2 recommendations were given. However, the people stated that  those books were not inspired at all as they are just the statement, facts  about illness and pain people deal with. But do not says  what they did to move father in life.

Have a nice  evening everyone. Iza  

• Sam_Alumni
    I downloaded Audible, they do a 30 day free trial (but make sure you cancel it before the 30 days are up or I think they will charge you) 

I have never used audio books before, but I am really enjoying listening to them at night or when I am travelling.

Im listening to Sue Perkins Autobiography at the minute, it's really nice to hear it in her voice!
    Scope
  • emkins40
    emkins40 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    I'm reading all the time. Just read book called I see you. Gave me heebie Jeebies but was a good read. Recommend it! 
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    I'm a huge fan of Audible. It makes commuting so much more enjoyable!

I've had a book sat on my desk for a while, and just wondered if anyone here would like it?

It's called Broccoli and Bloody-Mindedness. You can find out more about it on Amazon.

It sounds great, but unfortunately, I've just not had a chance to get around to reading it - so thought someone here might enjoy it instead.

Let me know if you'd like it!
  • Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    I finished Levison Wood 'Walking the Nile' and then read the first four Jack Reacher books. They are amazing books and I have the set.
    I have taken a break after book four and I'm reading a book called 'The Policewoman' which is very good.
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited February 2018
    Hi all,  I will continue reading the book I mentioned last week (look comment above) :) . As I like to be involve in editing content of local community pages (TRA)  I had busy evenings this week. I also prepared little presentation for cross- curricular topics as teaching resources based on books I read. If you are  a teacher or know teacher who would like to test it in the class  environment please drop me an interest and I will gave you my email address for personal  contact. Otherwise it can be purchased from :

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/we-are-all-equels-integrate-by-izadora-evans-11488476

https//www.tes.com/teaching-resource/-jonathan-livingston-seagull-a-story-written-by-richard-bach-following-passion-in-life-11488436

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/-the-little-prince-by-antoine-de-saint-exup-ry-inspirational-life-s-lessons-11489315

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-good-christian-11494640

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/cancer-awareness-based-on-inspiring-book-be-the-miracle-by-regina-brett-izadora-evans-11488455

I hope I am allow to share my inspirational values of book here. I did attached the links using chain symbol for the first time. 
    I hope I managed well :smiley:  if now let me know. 

I hope I may inspire someone too. 

Iza 
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    I'm currently listening to a multi-part history podcast about WW1, called 'Blueprint to Armageddon' - may not be the cheeriest topic but I'm learning lots on the commute! If anyone's interested you can download them all for free, plus various others at Hardcore History.
  • Sam_Alumni
    I just started 'Fragile Lives: A heart surgeon's Stories of life and death on the operating table by Stephen Westaby and I am really enjoying it.

Absolutely fascinating and Stephen is such a great writer, it is all easy to understand and very emotive. Id definitely recommend!
    Scope
  • tf813247
    tf813247 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Hello, i've recently been catching back up on reading "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. i haven't had alot of time to read, because i've been struggling with Depression & Extreme anxiety & have been sleeping multiple times in one day.
  • dawngertrude
    dawngertrude Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, I'm new and I thought I would introduce myself. I'm 50 years young and I'm a complete TV addict and Book addict. At the moment I'm reading Zombie books and I can't stop, lol. xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Hi @dawngertrude
    Welcome to the community, Im a bit of a zombie fan, do you watch the Walking Dead?
    Scope
  • AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    Hello. I'm new here and it's one of those things have been looking at replying to one of the conversation strings but never got around to it. Then when I saw the book club I thought it was the ideal one to get involved. I am 50 and damaged my back in a car accident a number of years ago and now struggle to walk. Anyway, books are my greatest weakness and I have more books than I have room for. I love history and especially alternate history. Anything by Harry Turtledove is good.  At the moment though I have two books on the go. One is about the English Constitution (Why it is not written) and the other is about a successful Spanish Amarda and subsequent invasion of England.
    All the best
    Andygt66 
  • secondbee
    secondbee Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    I just finished “The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet” by Becky Chambers again. It’s by far and away the best book I read last year and again this year. 

• Stayce
    Hi @secondbee

That is a good book - I agree - Have you tried her other novel  a closed and comet orbit by Becky Chambers?

I have also enjoyed Sleeping giants by a Sylvain Neuvel

Best

• secondbee
    secondbee Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hi @Stayce

I ordered the second book by Chambers and handed it to my husband with strict instructions that I receive it for Christmas. It’s so hard to put it to one side as I’m looking forward to it so much. 

I also heartily recommend “The Soul of an Octopus” which is non-fiction but a very interesting read. 

Currently I am reading “Rivers of London” for the second time, and “The Colour Purple” for the first. I’m also reading “Fingers in the Sparkle Jar” and “The Black Book”. 

I usually have four four books on the go at once. What about you? Do you prefer to have a selection on hand or to focus on one at a time? 

I prefer to read a physical book but this year got a kindle unlimited subscription which includes books with audio narration and now I sometimes listen to a book when I’m in the car. 
  • Stayce
    edited December 2017
    Hi @secondbee
    I love the Rivers of London books. I have started reading the set of graphic novels to this series too.

Yes, I usually have several books and kindle books on the go. 

You might want want to check out the kindle daily deals and monthly deals -always something worth it for just 99p

Just type Amazon kindle daily deal into google - everyday at least three new offers 

Best

Brightness