Scared of PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scared of PIP

button
button Community member Posts: 1 Listener
i am in my 50's and worked for 30 years but had to retire because of my health (cancer, mobility problems, autoimmune disorders).  I survive on DLA and am scared about the change to PIP.  I don't visit my GP often (I've developed a real folia of medical staff) and found the whole benefit system degrading and offensive.  How can I prepare myself?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @button - suggest that you read the PIP info and advice sections on Disability Rights website and CAB websites.  Disability Rights is better but CAB makes a good point about walking distances.  There is also PIP info and advice on Scope's website.

You might also want to read these two DWP documents.  The first is how assessors should conduct assessments; the second is advice to assessors on how to informally observe interviewees and how how to ask indirect questions about their physical abilities!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519119/personal-independence-payment-handbook.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519147/pip-assessment-guide.pdf
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Most of us are scared, I know I was. 

Before i I filled in the PIP form, I wrote notes down about my day to day living. 
    I didn't leave anything out. Then,when I thought I had remembered everything,I filled in the form in a more structured way. On the descriptors where I had a lot to say,I used the laptop and printed the pages off when I was satisfied that everything had been mentioned and bundled everything together. 
    I did not include any other evidence though,because I didn't have any!
    I,like you,hardly see my doctor and even if I did,my Dr wouldn't know much about my day to day life anyway!
    My face to face went ok. 
    I was expecting bad news but it turned out ok in the end and I am happy with my award. 
    My advice would be to not leave anything out-no matter how trivial you may think it is,tell them everything. 
    Good luck! 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't ask my GP for a report because they don't know how my condition affects me on a daily basis and they've never watched me walk outdoors.  I was awarded PIP standard rate daily needs and mobility.  Not happy with my award but at least I got something.  Am appealing and over 60% of appeals are successful.
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    I was on enhanced mobility, no care, on DLA. I was then awarded standard care and standard mobility on PIP. After a Mandatory Reconsideration I was given enhanced rate mobility. I even got given more points for care, actually,1 point away from enhanced rate. 
    I really did expect to be going to tribunal as I had read that hardly anyone got an award changed at MR. 
    To say I was gobsmacked when I opened the letter is an understatement!

So if anyone is reading this and they think that a Mandatory Reconsideration won't change anything, it can and does. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.