Hi, my name is annastarzi! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is annastarzi!

annastarzi
annastarzi Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have pip and only knew I could get it a year after being off work and had major back surgery which also has now been an ongoing task and further surgery.im due for an assessment and am in the same pedocument I also have been diagnosed with EUPD from my counselling and physchiatrist would I be eligible for disability allowance does anybody know or has similarities to me ..thanks

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @annastarzi, welcome to the community. I've moved your question to our benefits advisor's section as they may be able to advise you on this.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi annastarzi,

You sound like you might qualify for employment and support allowance, a benefit for working age people with limited capability for work. There is more information on ESA in the Scope benefit pages, including how to claim it. There may also be other benefits, such as housing benefit and council tax support.

A full benefit check would make sure you are getting everything to which you are entitled. Your local citizens advice would be able to do this for you. The Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 can check to see if there are any other organisations locally who might be able to help with this. Or you could use an online benefit calculator - there are two you could try at www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators 

Post back if if you have any more questions. Best wishes,

Michael
    The Benefits Training Co:

• annastarzi
    Thankyou.ill look and see what's available as I know I'm not able to work as iv also ongoing operations which have made me quiet reluctant to go anywhere as my mobility isn't very good I need to sit and wait again till I can re walk anywhere.i have severe depression and anxiety and self harmed.which was when I was diagnosed with a personality disorder.im not sure I can work anymore as I was a hairstylist and cannot stand for long..I wondered what I'm eligible for as I have the pip and need answers please
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi annastarzi,

I think you should claim employments and support allowance as this is the main benefit for people who are unable to work. You will need a doctors medical certificate (sometimes called a 'fit note) to start your claim.

It's worth a read of the information on ESA at http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/employment-support-allowance

Best wishes,

Michael

• annastarzi
    Thankyou for your help
  • annastarzi
    Hi would my hubbys wage be added into the amount  for eligibility I'm not sure .
    thanks
  • BenefitsTrainingCo

Hi annastarzi

There are two types of employment and support allowance (ESA); one is contribution-based so entitlement depends on the level of national insurance contributions you have paid. The second type is income-related and depends on what income you have; if you are part of a couple then your partner's income will be included in the calculation.

So your husband’s income would be taken into account for income-related ESA but not for contribution-based ESA. It is likely that his wages would rule out entitlement to income-related ESA but you could still be entitled to contribution-based ESA particularly if you have been working prior to becoming ill.

In addition to the link posted by my colleague Michael some more information on contribution-based ESA can be found here and here.

Please post back on here if you have any more questions.

Best wishes

Paul

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.