Just diagnosed with dyspraxia and discalcula, and suspected adhd — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just diagnosed with dyspraxia and discalcula, and suspected adhd

Options
sabini13
sabini13 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2017 in Education
Just been diagnosed with dyspraxia and discalculia aged 53 by the University ed' psych'- also she suspected adhd but would not diagnose - said I would need to see my gp, does anyone have any advice to impart? - My sister  and niece are both adhd/oppositional disorder - my brother suspected Asperger/autistic or adhd (undiagnosed) and my mother and father suspected adhd too.. I struggle with extreme anxiety that fluctuates - I am on a mild dose of sertraline for about 2 years 50mg - want to come off but I know my brain was less organised before the drug- I still struggle with focus and find doing my part time course stressful even though I am already getting 'A' results in term 2 pushing myself to actually do the tasks I am set is exhausting and my memory does not help! Any words of wisdom would be welcome- thanks! 

Comments

• Harp
    Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I am age 44 and just started the process of getting diagnois for dyspraxia.I don't know if I can be tested for dyslexia because I am registered as blind. 
    https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
    Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sabini13 welcome to the community.

You say you were diagnosed by the university but do they offer any further support for you? Is there a student support unit? 

Did your educational psychologist discuss the support recommended in the report? They should be able to help you  arrange any required reasonable adjustments and advise on funding for additional support.

@EducationalPsychologist what do you think?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • sabini13
    sabini13 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Sam my apologies yes they do,that is not the issue - I have had my statement as such it is just a case of me getting my (grade A in procrastination! :blush: ) act together and going along to find out what support is offered, I  want to try and get the ADHD assessment too and then I feel I will know fully what I am dealing with in order to put in place strategies and coping routines.  This would help me find structure and get things done! Whilst I have no clue whether the tablets are affecting me less positively over time (and therefore I would be better weaning off them) and IF I am ADHD whether they also mask clasic anxiety that can be co-morbid with adult adhd - or whether it is purely dyspraxia and dyscalculia...This and a billion other thoughts whizzing round in my mind, just curious to hear points of view or stories from professionals and patients and so on,I prefer to use talking therapies/routines etc  and potentially would like to avoid drugs and possibly try a dietary route to help me, within the bounds of a vegan diet :) thanks for answering so quickly x

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can anyone offer @sabini13 their experiences? 

Are you aware of the Dyspraxia Foundation?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Sabini13,
    I only work with children so am less familiar with adult experiences of late diagnoses. I suggest contacting a local support group and just taking one step at a time. Write a list of all your questions then choose one to focus on. Once that is answered move on to the next. Make a follow up appointment with the person that made the diagnosis and ask for some time to discuss all your options.

Brightness