Is there a way of being tested for ASD? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there a way of being tested for ASD?

mikebrad
mikebrad Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
I am looking to get some answers as to whether or not I have ASD. 

Since I was a child I knew that I was different from other kids and even as an adult, I feel very much the same.

Is there a way of being tested for ASD? And how easy is it to get help and support in this case?

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @mikebrad, welcome to the community. I've moved your post to our ASD advisor's category, as she will be able to give you some information on this.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    chris scope how do i put a message on here  please
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    there is a program on bbc1 called inside out tonight about people looseing there cars through PIP it might be intresting to people
  • Chris_Alumni
    Hi @nanof6, that sounds interesting - to post a message in the PIP group click on this link, and then click the new discussion button in the top right corner. You can then enter your message there, and remember to click the purple 'post discussion' button at the bottom when you're done.

In general, to start a new discussion you can click the new discussion button at right, and then select the category you want it to be in from the drop down menu, and then enter a title and your message, and remember to click the post discussion button at the bottom when you're done. Hope this helps.
  • davidj49
    davidj49 Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    mikebrad said:
    I am looking to get some answers as to whether or not I have ASD. 

Since I was a child I knew that I was different from other kids and even as an adult, I feel very much the same.

Is there a way of being tested for ASD? And how easy is it to get help and support in this case?
    Just ask your GP to be referred to be assessed for ASD. The GP will get the ball rolling.
  • Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    You could contact  the national autistic society for further information and advice. You would need your GP to refer you to an educational  psychologist 
  • mikebrad
    mikebrad Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    OK. Thanks for all the feedback.

I did go to my GP a few weeks ago and he referred me to the North Essex NHS Mental Health Trust who, as it turns out, no longer provide this service.

Is there an option to go private and if so, who would I need to contact?
  • davidj49
    @mikebrad
    Sorry to hear that, the GP has to refer you to another Autism assessment service, also contact the NAS, I am sure you will be helped. Do not go private!
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi @mikebrad  Your best option is definitely to go back to your GP and ask for re-referral elsewhere. However plenty of adults do get their diagnoses privately (myself included) and that is absolutely fine - private dx is generally more accepted in adults than in children because authorities etc are well aware of how difficult it can be for adults to get assessed through the NHS. 

If you have no luck with your GP then do speak to the NAS - they will be able to point you in the direction of your nearest autism support group, who will have details of local contacts. 

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope
  • davidj49
    @mikebrad

Do not go private, why?
    1. it costs about 2000 pounds
    2. A private DX is not generally accepted to gain social benefits.
    3. It's your right to be referred to NHS/NAS funded Autism assessment centres/clinics.

I was immediately referred by my GP to a Cambridgeshire Autism clinic, you can contact them yourself and enquire, the details....

http://www.cpft.nhs.uk/services/class-clinic.htm
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi, @mikebrad

Unfortunately the information that @davidj49 is giving you is not correct. As private charges vary, some may cost as much as David is quoting, but many don't (my own was a fraction of that amount).

As has been said before, private dx are more widely accepted in adults for the simple reason that it is harder for adults to get assessed on the NHS. 

Not everyone gets a dx with the sole purpose of claiming benefits - I certainly didn't. ASD is not an automatic qualification for disability benefits anyway, they are based solely on need, regardless of dx.

'Rights' aside, it can be very difficult to get referred for an NHS assessment and it is as well to know the options. That way all routes can be explored - what is right for one person might not be right for the next.

Most importantly - this forum is for those with experience of such matters to suggest ways that have helped them and which may help others. It is for advice only and is not here to tell people what they absolutely should or should not do.

Violet
    ASD Advisor, Scope

• davidj49
    mikebrad said:

I did go to my GP a few weeks ago and he referred me to the North Essex NHS Mental Health Trust who, as it turns out, no longer provide this service.

Mike, I was referred by a NHS GP and was assessed by CLASS in Cambridge, it took about 3 months and now I have a formal diagnosis via the NHS. It was 100% free. The National Autism Society explains that a private diagnosis isn't accepted everywhere.

Private diagnoses often cost 2000 pounds, I know this to be true.

I hope this helps.
  • davidj49
    mikebrad said:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults.aspx
  • Chris_Alumni
    Hi all, I feel this is a good time to close this thread. Please remember to respect each others views at all times, even when there is a difference of opinion. We want the community to be a safe and supportive place. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them.

You can view the community guidelines in full here.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness