PIP descriptors - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP descriptors

13»

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Debbie

Thank you, I am feeling much better today and thank you for the link to the PIP tool. This is very helpful.

Regards

Matilda

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Matilda,

Really glad to hear you're feeling better today. I'm really pleased that you found the PIP tool helpful. We tried it here at the helpline and thought it was pretty good. It's always a struggle to know what to say in these letters and this tool helps you work it all out.

Keep up the good work and give me a shout if you need help with anything.

Have a good day
    Debbie
  • Matilda
    Thanks, Debbie.

Three of the things I have pointed out in my request for mandatory reconsideration are:

1. The Atos Assessor claimed in her report that I took my handbag off over my head and put it on the floor from where I picked it up after the interview.  A blatant lie!  I kept my handbag slung across my body throughout, even during the physical exam.

2.  The Atos Assessor also stated that, because I was able to walk the 16 metres from reception to assessment room (on an even carpeted surface), then it followed that I could walk more than 20 metres but less than 50 metres outside using uneven pavement and kerbs.  Though a preposterous inference, the DWP have accepted this as gospel.  The PIP Handbook states that assessment of walking should take place outside using pavements and kerbs.

3.  The Atos Assessor has claimed that, because I can turn a power steering wheel, then it follows that I can, using aids, prepare and cook food, cut it up and eat it, wash and bathe and dress all within a reasonable time.  I have pointed out that it requires far less manual dexterity and use of arms to turn a power steering wheel than to peel and chop vegetables, cut up meat, bathe, wash hair and put clothes on and take them off.  Therefore, it takes me a very long time to complete these tasks.  And on bad days I cannot chop and peel vegetables at all.  Again, the DWP have accepted the Assessor's claims as gospel.

My experience has shown that my Atos Assessor was willing to tell a blatant lie and to make laughably illogical inferences - and the DWP were perfectly happy to accept those illogical inferences.   The blatant lie indicates corrupt practice by the Atos Assessor,  and the illogical inferences indicate, at the very least, incompetence on the part of the Atos Assessor and the DWP.  Though I have worded my letter more diplomatically!

Regards

Matilda
  • scouser
    scouser Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    I just recived my pip letter but before I tell you how it went I was on high rate walking and mid care on dla for life.i had my face to face 3 weeks ago and I didn't answer anything with out showing him i.e. asked about my walking and I got out me chair with different and showed him that I couldn't walk more then 10 m and then sat down with out my wife's help it was hard work but need to be done as I think they don't believe you unless you show them and then he asked if I could life me arms etc and did that in the end I showed him what my health really was like I didn't just sit there and say things I showed them and I think that's my they past me for enhanced on both untill 2027 so stress free for 10 years mine may be a happy ending for me but for lose more it's heart ache good luck to you all 
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Well done @scouser. Really pleased you got what you needed.

Thanks for sharing some great tips for other people going through the process too!
  • Matilda
    Well done @scouser - it's always cheering to hear about happy PIP outcomes.
  • scouser
    scouser Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Thank you all and I would like to say this the way pip does face to face is not that different from the dla in away they ask you a lot  of different things but I do think with pip it's not the health prom you have it's how it stopes you doing things i.e. Cooking walking you have to try to work out what you are going to say for every asker not easy when you are streed and I do think it's easier to try and show them you cat walk and ur are unstay on ur feet they will believe u more seeing it then you just saying it I was tested in my hands and arms and it stated I had little mobility from arms and legs and I was shaking with the strees off it all it was a over welling felling for me  and he could see that and took is time and a hour half after I think he was more relieved it was over cos it took along to to write everything done but he did say off recorded can't see why it won't go strate over to pip may be I found a nice one if you no what I mean 
  • ChrisKz
    ChrisKz Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Just had a home assessment 4th feb ..... I have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis .. degenerative bone disease in the spine ...... Just had a decision .. Atos have found a miracle cure .... I am not disabled so I don't need the PIP award ....  
  • Matilda
    Hi @ChrisKz - I suggest that you repost in the 'Ask a benefits advisor' category as a benefits expert could advise you on what to do next.
  • ChrisKz
    Its O.K .. This will be my 3rd appeal  .. won all so far . Disabilities can't lie , only the examiner

• Matilda
    Well done, @ChrisKz.  This encourages me - I was awarded standard rate daily living and mobility and have appealed arguing for enhanced rate both elements.
  • ChrisKz
    I was on enhanced .. Atos cured that with only 4 points .. Just asked for transcript as I downloaded the questions and what the examiner asked were not the same , nor did what she asked , have any bearing on my disability . Still taxpayers money well spent again on more appeals 
  • Matilda
    The PIP assessment system is barking mad. The assessors must be selected for their proficiency in telling lies.
  • ChrisKz
    They must get highly paid . should have seen the car my assessor is driving around in ...... Now we know where the money saved is going
  • Matilda
    The DWP appear to want to give money to assessors and appeals staff rather than to disabled people!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 68 Listener
    Matilda said:
    Thank you, Debbie.  I hope for a positive decision, too.  But, from what I have heard about decisions I am expecting the worst, no matter now the assessment goes.  I am preparing myself for the inevitable and for having to go through the appeals process.

Regards

Jennie

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    ChrisKz said:
    They must get highly paid . should have seen the car my assessor is driving around in ...... Now we know where the money saved is going
    That is amusing and reminds me of my 3rd and final assessment before I told the DWP where to put their PIP files!

As I have been on a merry go round of Enhanced mobility then nothing then back to Enhanced Mobility during the past 5 years, my Motability cars are handed back at regular intervals.
    However on the day of the assessment, a colleague and friend (who just happens to be the Mayor) drove my wife and myself to the venue. He has a large new black Jaguar and parked it right outside the entrance doors. He came round and opened the rear car doors for us helping me out as it was a little low on the ground.

He then came in with us and asked if they wouldn't mind if he parked opposite the entrance doors whilst waiting for us to come out after the assessment.
    The face of the receptionist and the security guy was a picture who must have thought that we were some sort of royalty!

Brightness