What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP?

Comments

• WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    WaterLily said:
    Squigg said:
    Water lilly, I hope you appealed and so on?
    I have sent a Mandatory Reconsideration letter back to the DWP in the hope that they will give me the 2 extra points I need to be able to keep the motability car. 
    If they don't, (and I have heard not many people are successful at this point) then I will go to appeal. 
    Its just a waiting game, now. 
    Unbelievably, I had to return my motability car nearly two weeks ago,then a week later I had a letter from the DWP that my Mandatory Reconsideration had been successful and that they gave me the 2 extra points I needed and I now get the enhanced mobility component!
    I couldn't really believe it as I never thought it would happen and that I would most definitely be going to the appeal tribunal. 
    But now I cannot return to motability for 6 months. 
    We have now purchased our own car and used the £2000 towards it that motability give you as a transition payment. 

Motability is a fantastic organisation and I would never have left it otherwise. 
  • Squigg
    Squigg Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Yayay congrats water lilly
  • WaterLily
    Squigg said:
    Yayay congrats water lilly
    Thank you Squigg!
  • Squigg
    Squigg Community member Posts: 34 Connected
  • san1954
    san1954 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    What's the £2000 you get how do you get this I want to get my own car
  • charmed
    charmed Community member Posts: 53 Connected
    Bringing back car in good condition - loyalty payment cant get till 6 months after handing car in thus when reapplying for new car
  • san1954
    san1954 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
  • WaterLily
    san1954 said:
    What's the £2000 you get how do you get this I want to get my own car
    Hi san1954,
    when I returned my motability car, I received my £2000 cheque less than a week later. 
    Then, because I had paid a deposit of over £500 and had only had the car a couple of months,I was given a large proportion of that back,too. Think that cheque took another week. 
    As you can see, I didn't wait long at all. 
    And as is typical of Motability,it was all very straight forward. 
    Hope this helps.
  • auds
    auds Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I just got my appointment for my assessment not looking forward to it. Been on higher rate  DWP for 13 years ,if it wasent for my meds ,I could not cope. Just more stress  .
  • ChrisKz
    ChrisKz Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I had to sense to buy an older vehicle , spent my mobility allowance to convert it . They cannot take that away from me . Just used the rest to service it and buy mobility aids , that no one can take away . Looks like I did the right option. Hope this post helps some people to never fall into the trap of Mobility scams

• ChrisKz
    Also own my Mobility scooter .. not hired.contracted out
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I was on DLA top rates care and mobility, reduced to standard daily needs and mobility PIP.  Fortunately, my car was my own, not Motability's.  I'd recommend, if people are able to do so, to buy a car, not lease.  Although they no longer promote their purchase scheme, I think that Motability do still run one if you ask - for either a new or used car.
  • ChrisKz
    LOL . cannot get a 4x4 on mobility . sorry but I cannot get into a "normal " car  ( spine probs)  so had to have it raised up so that i can "tip toe" into the seat and just slide out .. not like a car where you lower yourself to get in , then struggle to raise up .

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    a week before i got the pip results, i was sent the leaflets about moterbilty, i thought that was a good sine i got pip, id already bought a 3 year old already converted for my use,so if anyone is waiting for a reply about pip, and get the leaflet while they are waiting its looking good.
  • gingermusic
    gingermusic Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Well after all my fears and worries about transferring from DLA to PIP I have to say I was one of the very luck ones. No f2f just got awarded enhanced on both mobility and care so my money stays the same as always and I am delighted. Also got it awarded until 2028 so best of luck to anybody else waiting to hear.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    @gingermusic that’s absolutely amazing. Well done & so pleased for you. I’ve just got the letter this week saying I need to claid Pip as DLA is ending. I’m terrified so hearing good news like yours has brightened my day! Xx
  • gingermusic
    gingermusic Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    If its any help I included a print out from my doctor regarding medication and when I was diagnosed with various things. I also filled it in assuming a worse day scenario and to get enhanced mobility you need to state 20 metres is the furthest you can walk without needing to stop, hope this helps you
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Thank you, yes I’m intending of getting a letter of support from my GP to include meds & all my conditions, when I was diagnosed etc. 
    I done that when I applied for ESA and was placed in the support group without having to attend a f2f :) xx
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    I felt sick when I recieved the letter saying I was making the transfer from DLA to PiP!
    We asked for a home visit as I had them for ESA assessments but I was turned down, the problem is that my pain levels are super high and sitting there in an assessment is ridiculously painful.
    I cancelled the first appointment as my pain was too high but on the second appointment I was having a flare up, not wanting to risk losing the benefits I said to my wife we would still go!
    Needless to say they weren't running on time, I had taking extra Oramorph and even some extra meds I shouldn't just to try and get through it, I tried laying on some seats but that was even worse and so I just sat in my wheelchair.
    I was 48 then, I'm 6' 4" I have a grade one hair cut and a beard and so I hate what happened next. My pain became so bad that I ended up in tears, I hate people seeing me like that but see me they did. This is when my wife became angry and spoke with the receptionist and strangely we went straight in, it turns out my assessor was having a tea break!
    I laid on the examination bed thing throughout and when she came to examine me, she looked at me and said "no I don't think I will", I told her it was okay if it helped my case but she declined!
    I kept my award, middle care and high mobility but where I had an indefinite award with DLA, I only recieved 5 years for PiP. It was a relief to get the award but surely they could have given me a home visit?

Yes in my opinion they should have, disgusting  it really is. Glad you kept your award, middle care and high mobility  but why only 5 years? Why cant they accept that most of us are no better or even worse than when we applied for and got the DLA indefinite award. If we were born before 1948 we get left in peace, no need to apply for PIP. if we were born after this then how ever bad we are we have to  keep going through this and being re assessed  every so many years. Surely its what we have to contend with that should count, not the year we were born in!
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    I lost my car when changing over to PIP. I used to get high rate for both on DLA. I asked for a reconsideration and got the care increased to high rate but not the mobility. I have appealed and finally, after 11 months of waiting, I have my appeal date for the end of June. I'm absolutely terrified.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.