Friends who accept and understand my impairment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Friends who accept and understand my impairment

BetweenBakerSt
BetweenBakerSt Community member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Tell us your reasons to be cheerful.

Comments

• BetweenBakerSt
    BetweenBakerSt Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Spending time with friends who accept and understand my impairment without drawing attention to it and making me feel like just another member of the group! A little understanding really does go a long way!
  • GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Hello @BetweenBakerSt I just know where you are coming from with the issue. I have come to a point and say to anyone who is in contact and you pick up the tone of voices, I just say to break the ice do you know of other impairment friends this always turns into a conversation. At least you can carry this on so the person feels comfortable with your surroundings. Some times people do feel this way but been sensible and to educate the stigma that you just want to be treated like anyone else. It as a bigger impact when it comes of myself and then you be surprised how it opens up to making new people to talk to. Final example my old friends would walk on the other side of the road to avoid talking to me but who needs people like that. It is there problem not mine but if people just say one word you put it into action educating.   

Brightness