42 year old daughter with mild learning disabilities needs a friend or bf. Any tips? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

42 year old daughter with mild learning disabilities needs a friend or bf. Any tips?

diversue
diversue Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have a 42 year old daughter with mild learning disabilities. Although  She does voluntary work two days a week, goes to college 1 day a week and also go to an art class for 2 hrs one day per week.  She is desperate to find a friend, preferably a boyfriend but unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any social events for her near where we live.  We have tried the disability dating sites but that doesnt seem to have worked.  I dont know what to do for the best

Comments

• johnphillips
    johnphillips Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    i know the feeling so well im in the same boat

• diversue
    Are you in the same boat as a parent
  • johnphillips
    johnphillips Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    no im in the same boat as your daughter

• ding47
    ding47 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    it is problem for disabled people everywhere it would be good if there was a proper genuine disabled dating site based in the uk that was not to expensive 
  • davidj49
    davidj49 Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    @diversue

I also can't find anyone, and would like to be her friend and chat with her.I don't have one friend either, and would love to fund the right girl. 
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Hi @diversue,

Welcome to the community. 

Have you tried non-disability specific dating sites? You might be better off with the bigger sites which have more people signed up.

If dating sites haven't worked out, then maybe it's worth focusing on the people she meets through the activities she does. She could do things to build stronger friendships with the people she meets and likes there.

If there aren't people she wants to get to know more, then look at alternative activities, groups and places to volunteer. If there's isn't much around you - then maybe a supported holiday would be a good way to meet new people?

There seem to be quite a few companies that offer supported holidays for people with learning disabilities like http://www.jollydaysholidays.co.uk/

Good luck!

• diversue
    edited February 2017
    Hi@Alex

Thanks for your input.  We havent tried the non-disability dating sites.  I am a bit wary of these.  But I may have a look.  Clare does voluntary work and also goes to college one day a week and has lots of acquaintances but no real friends .  I have just found her a club to go to for  disabled and learning disabilities near where we live and she is going tonight so fingers crossed.  I will also look into the supprted holidays, havent heard of this before.

Its really hard work but I only want her to be happy.  I feel for the people out there who dont have anyone to fight there cause.  I did think about starting up a group myself but dont know how to go about it.  Anyway thanks for all your help.  Much appreciated.

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Sounds like she's really lucky to have you as her parent.

If you're serious about setting up a group there are some good resources out there (quick google found this: http://www.brighterfuturestogether.co.uk/brighter-futures-together-toolkit/set-up-a-community-group/) and you can probably contact other groups and charities to help promote it.

Hope things go well tonight!
  • PSHEexpert
    PSHEexpert Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Hello!  Just wondered where (roughly) you're based Diversue? :) 
    - Gill 

Brightness