Autistic son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic son

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• marion61
    marion61 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Not sure if I can help I am the full time carer of my autistic teenage daughter and she is still in the process of trying to learn independence, although not sure if she really grasps it. If you are looking after him and do not earn a living beyond I think £100 a week and not retired you would qualify for carers money each week, it also can be back dated a little too as my first payment paid for a basic bed frame and mattress for me.
  • [Deleted User]
  • marion61
    just hope that what I could share helps as you also can benefit from yearly support from a charity for your child, free carer visit to cinema with your child with an annual pass which costs £5.50, free bus pass, free seat at a lot of venue for entertainment, free carer entry to sealife centre, free ride on the London Eye and as you can see if not already known there are other helps out there not always mentioned.
  • [Deleted User]
  • marion61
    sorry to hear that it would not help but family fund is a good idea, you only have to show that your child is below 17 and on pip or dla and they can help you with anything from a couple hundred to five hundred for almost anything.

I am lucky as my daughter will go out and about with me but the cinemas are trying to do autistic friendly sessions as well so it might be worth looking into that at least too. Not sure how you can get around animal smells though as so many people have pets but if you have something maybe he could sniff that he likes maybe it could still work.
  • [Deleted User]
  • marion61
    afraid so but there might be others out there they just have a cut off for 17 years I know there are others who offer support you will just need to look at it as support for an adult now and that is what I am looking at in a year. Also it might help going to social services as I have someone for support who is looking into potential courses or independence help at the moment.
  • [Deleted User]
  • marion61
    yes I know that is how it goes put keep pushing and they put me on to this guy from something called pathfinders which is another kind of social work were they can look into what they can offer of activities that can be offered, worth a try because they should offer something no matter how small. Unfortunately you do need to keep pushing it is the same with all of these kind of situations, breaking down like I did also seems to help so good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
  • marion61

Brightness