Heal me in the name of Jesus - BBC3 faith healer documentary — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Heal me in the name of Jesus - BBC3 faith healer documentary

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
I watched the BBC documentary Heal me in the name of Jesus by BBC3 on iplayer yesterday, it is hosted by the brilliant @emilyroseyates and was a look at an Australian 'healer' who claims that he can cure people of their disabilities through Jesus.

Emily did a great job of being balanced yet challenging on such an emotive and controversial subject.  She 
questions whether he is taking advantage of people in their most vulnerable time but the man insists he doesn't do this for money. 

There is a part where Emily speaks to a man with Motor Neurone disease and he spoke about many people in his condition worrying about a hopeless end, whereas he has endless hope.  It made me think about whether I should judge the choices others make in a situation I have never been in.   

I would love to know your thoughts on it! I found it really thought provoking!
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    "A drowning man will clutch at a straw."

Most people need a crutch whether it be hope, religion or something else. Some will go further and seek oblivion by self-delusion or substance abuse.

Faith healers are simply pushing a different type of "drug". Some of them will be dependent on their "drug" too.

• Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    It's  great to  have hope. However,  this is an entirety different thing to people who claim they can cure people I do think  that's quite dangerous  and it is giving people  false hope. You cannot  cure conditions such as MND with faith healing. 
  • Fundamentalist
    Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Hi from Fm. This is a subject I know quite a bit about and I bet if I try and discuss it will cause a storm of protest from non-believers but I know for absolute fact I'm right and I absolutely stand by it, so here goes. First of all no person can heal anyone, and of course there are some who are false and get people's hopes up and they shouldn't as it's so heartless. It is God who does the healing, the ministers simply act as a channel for God's healing. And I know for absolute FACT that there definitely IS a God up above who is real and he can heal as in the past I myself have received powerful healing from him but not all his healing happens just like that, sometimes it's a struggle and sometimes it seems that nothing is happening but you really MUST believe it is as Jesus said in the Bible whatever you ask for you must believe you have received it. Only then will you receive any healing and when it does happen and when you have received healing you can give testimony of it. Until I was 34 years old I used to be absolutely brutally tortured by any sound made by small children so I couldn't have any friends when I was little so I couldn't develop normally and I had my life ruined because of it. And it also meant I just couldn't fit in at any school so I got kicked out of loads of primaries and I never got to go to secondary school at all. But when I was 24 I decided to become Christian properly, not just religious, Jesus said no less than three times in one chapter and emphasised the point that you must be born again, and I struggled for years to get healed but when I was 34 I received really powerful healing and all of a sudden I was totally free to be able to really love children at last. But not all healing happens just like that, it's not like Tommy Cooper, I'm still struggling with some really dreadful things forced on me but I won't give up because I know for absolute certain that there is a God who CAN heal and deliver people from anything. And I'm certainly NOT "delusional" or easily bought or deceived or anything of the sort, I won't be bought by anyone and I won't be deceived either. And I'm certainly not "brainwashed" either, no-one can do that to me as I won't let them. And God certainly doesn't brainwash anyone, it is by his Holy Spirit that he heals people. And I won't have any closed-minded hardened sceptic try and force me to accept anything I know to be wrong, absolutely no way! And I won't argue with anyone as I know for absolute fact that there is a God who can heal, full stop! No arguments, no maybes etc. And if this causes protest against me then so be it, I stand by every word! Fm.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fundamentalist
    Hi from Fm. There is a lot of truth in what you say, indeed our thoughts and emotions do affect our behaviour, they certainly do with me. And positive thoughts alone don't cure anything, only God can do that, but if anyone wants to be healed they really must co-operate with God and try and do things his way and I won't pretend it's easy, I know it's not. Some folk do get healed straight away, but more often it's a gradual process and sometimes you have to really fight for it and I don't mean with violence but against the dreadful negativity that tries to stop people being healed, that is why you must really believe with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength. And forget orthodox religion. For far too long, centuries in fact Christianity has been presented all wrong, especially in Britain and Europe, various regimes have tried to make it into an orthodox religious practice which it is not, it's about a special relationship with God. Religion is all about trying to keep rules in the vain hope that it will get you into heaven which as any born again Christian knows it won't. What God cares about is what's inside in your heart, that's where he looks because he can see what's inside. Lots of folk all around the world try to be religious and try to make themselves look good but it's what's inside that matters. God can see where people can't, that's why you must really mean it and commit your heart and not just be religious. And another thing that really bothers me is the act of judging things like Christianity without having any actual experience of it, which is all wrong. Just as I being a bloke can't possibly judge what's it's like to be pregnant. Far too many folk are too quick to judge Christianity without ever having any experience and I have had some really powerful experiences with God. Other folk can believe what they want but I know for absolute fact there is a God and I wouldn't dare lie to anyone and I won't get anyone's hopes up all for nothing, there's too many doing that already with various wrong practices or even faking being Christian just to try and gain some glory for themselves when the glory must all go to God alone. Anything can be healed but to receive it you must really co-operate and never ever give up or be pessimistic, no-one gets healed that way, all too often people stop themselves being healed because they won't really try and believe. I know from long hard experience and I've had to come to terms with it and learn the hard way. Fm.
  • Fundamentalist
    Hi from Fm again. If anyone's interested in investigating healing any further then check these out. https://www.cfan.org.uk  and  www.propheticvision.org.uk  Those sites are run by long serving and internationally respected Evangelists who hold Evangelical healing crusade meetings around the world and they both have decades of experience. They know all about healing. Fm.

Brightness