Pain control — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pain control

lindaw
lindaw Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2017 in Cerebral palsy
Hi everyone I'm Linda,
My son Darryl is almost 20 and suffers with mild Cerebral Palsy. He wears an afo on his right leg but other than that he has reasonable movement. However he is in constant pain with his foot, wether he is wearing his afo or not, sitting or standing. He has been prescribed dycodromal but to be honest they don't touch him. I feel like nobody will help us though we've been going to see consultants and physios since he was 4yrs old. Is anybody else in this type of situation or better still found a pain relief that works?
He puts a brave face on but i know this is getting him down and im starting to feel like he'll never lead a normal life if we can't even get his pain under control. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ☺

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    HI Linda, welcome to the community. I've moved your post to our cerebral palsy discussions group so that more people can find it and hopefully advise you on this.
  • lindaw
    lindaw Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Ah thank you very much Chris
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Hi @lindaw
    Sorry to hear your son is in constant pain with his foot.

I would definitely get his AFO reviewed as things do change and it might need some modifications 

How does Darryl describe the pain?
    - Tightness?
    - Stiffness?
    - Sharp stabbing pain?
    - Is his foot spasming? Jumping?
    - Is there any swelling or inflammation involved?

I really would recommend that you ascertain exactly why his foot hurts him - as it could be high tone or it could be something like tendon/ligament injury due to gait pattern, repetitive movements. I would strongly recommend you ask your GP or consultant to request either an MRI scan or ultrasound scan to ascertain why Darryl's in so much pain.

My personal favourite for managing pain is acupuncture treatment. Many physiotherapists or osteopaths can do acupuncture 

I hope this helps. Please let us know how Darryl gets on

Best wishes

Brightness