Hi, my name is vron! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is vron!

vron
vron Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2017 in Start here and say hello!
i have parkinsons diagnosed about 3 years now and I live with my husband and little Jack Russell dog. I used to be a Special Needs teacher and I am now approaching my 70th birthday, too fast for my liking !!! I go to the Rainbow Centre once a week and take part in Conductive Education classes to teach me how to walk, stand etc etc etc

Comments

• GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Good evening @vron welcome I understand you have had a very rewarding working life which I commend you. Now what you are doing at present is the right construction to get your brain into control of your life. You have a mission and that is to be involved and control. At times if you are feeling doubt and can not find answers you have 365 groups across UK. Parkinson's' Peer support are at hand which are trained volunteers with similar experience's like yourself. Self - management groups, Learning from others through free self management programme, 'A path through Parkinson's'. This can be obtained of above 0800 800 0303  this will open many doors to controlling your life without complicating things. You know what you want and it is there when needed, please give a little stroke to your Jack Russell take care.     
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi Vron,

Welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

Were you a teacher at a special school or in a mainstream school?

• vron
    Hi Alex I was a teacher at a Special Needs School in U K and Canada.  This might interest you I got my MP to write to the Minister for the Disabled why as the retiring age for women was being raised why did the age at which you can claim mobility allowance not increased accordingly. I was told on the phone that older people ie over 65 have less mobility needs than younger people. I do not need the mobility allowance at present but I wonder why the cut off age was still 70. The reply was that I should have started saving for my mobility needs when I was in my 30s. Words fail me !!!! I never dreamt that at 67 I would have Parkinsons and who thinks about old age/disability when they are 30 to 40. I also wanted to know why my state pension is refered too in offical letters as my benifit. Yet I am told that I do not recieve benifit and have paid for my state pension all my working life. Answer was that is how it was formulated in 1947, some 70 years ago. Again words fail me !!!!! Just thought you might be interested in this experience of mine
  • vron
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome I have recieved

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @vron Hope you enjoy being part of the community!

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness