Obsession — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Obsession

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I too have experienced bullying and it is horrible and can have long lasting  psychological effects. Have you thought about  contacting your Gp. Maybe  counselling would  help?
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    HI DannyMoore, I think if you were bullied as a child, and this was undoubtedly an intense emotional experience, then it seems natural that the same thing happening again would trigger similar feelings. As for the obsession, I wonder if you've considered seeking counselling or another form of professional help such as CBT?

Speaking as a layperson only, it may help to identify what triggers your obsessive thoughts and to distract yourself with other more positive things that you find engaging in these situations. You might also like to take a look at some of Mind's online resources, such as this page on obsessive compulsive disorder.

I hope this helps, and that the community can offer further advice, but please remember that the best person to advise you in this matter is a qualified mental health professional. There's some info on the NHS website about accessing mental health services, but referral to these will generally need to be done by your gp if you choose to follow this route.
  • joannarashelle
    joannarashelle Community member Posts: 135 Pioneering
    I agree with what the others say @DannyMoore re asking for help, cognitive therapy helped me change my way of thinking or at least identify what can start it off; it's an on going process and can be exhausting and painful but beneficial in the long run honestly. 

If you do go down the therapy route make sure you feel comfortable with the therapist you're offered. 

This is is important. 
    And change if you need to, it's their job to enable you to feel better with your thoughts it's what they're trained and paid for.

I've been bullied throughout my life and like you I wish there was a simple answer to wipe it out alas there isn't. 

But you CAN change how you yourself deal with it in your head 

Hope you get peace 

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Chris_Alumni
    @dannymoore, it sounds like a positive step that you were able to a)acknowledge that you were having a thought which might not reflect the reality of the situation and b) challenge it with alternative interpretations. It might help to write down such incidences in a journal or similar, and I believe there are various CBT worksheets available online which may help with this. Again, this is meant only as general advice. Hope you have a good weekend!
  • [Deleted User]
  • Chris_Alumni
    Hi Danny, it's great to hear that you're making progress and are starting to feel better about this, and thank you for sharing your experiences with the community. No doubt it will be a gradual process but this positive progress must feel very encouraging to you.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    What kimd of obsession? Brain Lock on the OCD UK webpage is good. Especially the refocus step. "Eyes on the prize". Roll with it, but whatever you decide is best to be doing, focus there, not on whether you are or whether you're obsessed, but this is a skill that takes practice and time to learn.Be gentle with yourself.  
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom

Brightness