Disabled and moving home without furniture — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled and moving home without furniture

bob1210
bob1210 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi,
I am moving into a council flat which is unfurnished and has no floor coverings.
I have lived in a furnished flat for the past 17yrs which means I shall be moving with no furniture or white goods, in fact I have nothing at all.
I am a 57yr old disabled man with a mobility car and blue badge.
I've never dealt with social services or any other help body as my family have always provided my care.
I am worried as to how I can pay to get furniture or floor coverings ........... any ideas would be helpful if anyone knows of where I might apply for some help.

Bob

Comments

• charmed
    charmed Community member Posts: 53 Connected
    Hi Bob

what borough are you in?
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Hi Bob1210,

Contact the allocation team and explain the issue and ask if there is someone you can talk to who  will be able to advise and assist you.

Social Landlords know that often getting your first home is just the start to getting and maintaining your tenancy. Your situation is not unusual and while the allocation team may not be able to help you directly they will know who to signpost you to either within the council, or through a local partner.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bob1210 - try Social Services.  Sometimes they have a store of second-hand furniture donated to them.  British Heart Foundation have furniture shops including white goods.  
  • Abnoba
    Abnoba Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Check your local council's website, for the Housing office who should be able to advise you. Some offer free transportation, and low cost electric goods - you may also qualify for a grant to help with basic moving costs.

Also check https://www.freecycle.org where people offer free furniture to others in the area - just pop in your post code.

Hope you'll be happy in your new home - good luck!
  • bob1210
    edited March 2017
    Thank you folks.
    I'm in Glasgow and I have applied today to a government funded welfare scheme which will help with some things. Floorcovering being an item they 'should' help with, apparently.
    my issue now is that I must move in within two weeks and I've been told it's highly unlikely I'll have had any decision by that time !!!
    How can anyone move into an empty home..... the country has gone to the dogs.
    Sadly, there are people less fortunate than me.

Thank you for all your replies folk.

Bob
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @bob1210

Have you moved now? If so, how did it go? Were you able to get some furniture?
  • bob1210
    Hi Alex
    I've not moved in as yet but I have managed to source some of the stuff I need and Im still waiting for a decision on some other essentials.
    I will update as soon as I hear any further news.

Thank you for your continued support and interest 

Bob
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited April 2017
    Hi @bob1210,

It sounds as though you've applied for Local Welfare Assistance from your local authority. Local Welfare Assistance schemes replaced crisis loans and community care grants which very previously available through the social fund. 

This is a really good source of support and I'm glad that you've managed to make some progress in getting the things you need to furnish your new home.

There are also Budgeting Loans if you're on means tested benefits.

You can also search the grants database to see if there is any other help available. All the above suggestions are great too, so hopefully you'll continue to make progress in getting everything you need to settle into your new home.

Good luck with it all and thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • bob1210
    I just called the Scottish Welfare Fund whom I had been awaiting a decision from regarding my application for essential goods which I need to live in my own home...... everything I've applied for has been DECLINED on the basis of it not being of high enough PRIORITY so now I must put in an appeal against this decision.
    I had previously applied for beds, floor vinyl, a sofa, cooker, washing machine, fridge freezer, carpets for my two bedrooms, hall and lounge and bedding. I was awarded everything except the floor vinyl and the bedding.
    I then appealed the decision not to award the vynil and the bedding sets - after all what good is a bed without quilts and pillows. I won the appeal and was given the vinyl and two single quilts as well as two pillows but no quilt covers or pillow cases..... which just sounds silly. But at least I thought I was getting near to getting all I needed. I had not applied for all the things I needed on my first application so I was told to re-apply with a new application asking for all the things that I had not applied for in my original application.... things that I felt were absolutely necessary to live happily and independently.
    so, whilst I have some of the essentials I still don't have some other items that are important. My application for a wardrobe and a set of drawers for both my room  and also my son's room has been refused - where do they propose I hang my clothes or put my socks and other clothes? A kitchen pack which I presume consists of all the necessary kitchen utensils and crockery, again refused.... how am I supposed to cook or eat without pots, pans, cutlery, a kettle, cups or even plates. Also refused was hand and bath towels and dish towels .... how can anyone wash without towels to dry themselves? I asked for a hoover and again that was refused too. I can only imagine the decision maker was having a bad day.
    I applied for a microwave and a television too and unsurprisingly they too were refused but at least I can accept those two items being refused as I can understand some folk might not see those items as 'necessary' or even priority but for all the other items to be denied is simply beyond belief to me.

So, I am still moving between friends and family until I can gather all the items that I need to move into my own home.

I will fill out an appeal into this latest decision and hope for the best..... maybe the SWF think if they just refuse people's applications then many of them will just accept the decision and move on but if that is the case then that is just sad, uncaring and cruel.

I live on £80 per week to buy food and pay bills as well as buy fuel for my motability car which I would be housebound without...... I simply need their help to live.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @bob1210,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get all the things you need.
    While you're waiting to hear the outcome of the appeal, there's websites like Freecycle and Gumtree where you can pick up household items cheap or free. Just be cautious if a freebie or cheap deal seems to be too good to be true. Facebook now has a market place feature where people can advertise things for sale or free. It's worth looking out for. If you don't have Facebook yourself, ask a friend or family member who does have Facebook to look out for items for you.

Did you find any grants using the grants database?

Are you any closer to moving in since you last updated us?

Hope to hear from you soon

Debbie
  • basiclee08
    basiclee08 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Just a Quick Tip ask your local C.A.B if any local charities orgs dealing with furnishings most have contacts with housing associations and they keep some white goods and furniture from their properties, best of luck n hope helps.

Lee
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    British Heart Foundation have furniture shops that sell large items of furniture including white goods, TVs, possibly microwaves and vacuum cleaners.  And many charity shops sell pots, pans, crockery, cutlery, towels, bedding.

Brightness