Have you had a successful PIP appeal? We need your tips — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you had a successful PIP appeal? We need your tips

Chris_Alumni
Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
We are currently putting together a community tips document intended to help anyone who is planning on appealing there Personal Independent Payment (PIP) decision. If you've successfully appealed, let us know what tips you would give to those now about to go through the process of a mandatory reconsideration.

Please provide your PIP appeal tips by commenting below.

Comments

• johnny100
    johnny100 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    I would like to know  if you appeal against a decision and it goes against you will you lose your award,or what
  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Following...
    I am about to attend assessment next week and expecting to go through an appeal but I've heard alsorts...if people can stand and walk up to 20 metres, unable to move their fingers or control bowel/bladder then they may not need to appeal... 

It appears that areas with the highest percentage of mental illness were possibly left until last to change from DLA to PIP maybe because of the recent changes (March 16th) which were not even discussed with government so they now eliminate anyone who suffers from mental health! 

A professional welfare advisory service has described this as 'nasty'.

I'm basing information on people's experiences and a reliable source 

I'm very interested to learn about other people's experiences as I feel extremely sorry for those who are affected before during and after assessments 
  • johnny100
    i would answer to your walking ability that you really struggle and you have to take regular rests,Dont say words like i could walk further with a push,stick to  20 mtrs,If you use walking sticks they will ask if they aid youe walking,the answer is no they dont they are used to give you support.I have whats called pinch grip which makes it difficult to hole things,if you have assistance tell them,if not tell them you really struggle to peal things like potatos ,carrots etc.I had problems my self after having prostate cancer and radio therapy  and being diabetic. .Radio therapy treatment has an impact for many years.I  currently have an ongoing dispute with the DWP.If you have problems with your bowel movements etc tell them that you are not  100% sure that you are clean,hope you understand where Im comimg from with this remark.  . 
  • johnny100
    I agree with most comments about assessors.They seem to do what they like and get away with it.People should stand up against these people and fight your corner.They expect that the decision thats made is the end of the matter for PIP They try to cut a point off here a point off there to give you lesser point,trying to get it under 12 to pay the min amount.I noticed that on my PIP I mentioned that I require help om most things and they only gave me an average of 2 point ,if you get help its a least 4points so that means that all of the questions on the PIP form require some kind of help in one way or another.I have a current appeal at the first stage where I have written letters outling my finding,of course all the help has been obtained by reading other peoples E mails left on this site.My cut off date for letters etc is the 4th april 17.. 
  • johnny100
    They go on these courses and are trained to take away what is rightfully yours.I  cannot understand myself why you complete a form  go to an assessor then this goes to another assessor who then skims over the application/PIP form without reading through it properly and get a reply/decision in just 2 weeks,I will tell you how and how its done.They are set objectives/targets,for example 20 PIP forms a day.This is all based on American Sytems.All the final assessors do is fill in the missing words from a template,Its all really like a lot of people say,A POSTCODE LOTTERY
  • janice_in_wonderland
    Some people think it's like a culling - virtual manslaughter! 
  • johnny100
    These so called rule makers on government departments and associates I bet would not have a PIP assessment like the true disabled.it woukd probably be fast tracked with no  questions asked,The norm applies one rule for one and another rule for others.This government state that all people are treated the same,this I dispute.  
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Thank you very much for that veritable bounty of tips @Markmywords, and to everyone else for their contributions
  • johnny100
    I have received mail back from the DWP on my PIP claim and it states that I covered 40 mtrs from the entrance to the booking in desk.I disputed this as I stopped at the door for around 30 seconds  plus  as no one was on the desk,I did not think that cameras were allowed to be used in this manner and the cameras were there for security reasons,is this civil liberties or what. 
  • maur64
    maur64 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    They watch you from the time you get out the car and walk towards the building and enter the building !!!!!!
  • janice_in_wonderland
    Cameras are everywhere including in lifts my previous support worker said so
    big brother 
    never be surprised at what is happening just dread the worst so if you qualify you must be severely disabled I'm sorry to say 
    if not then appeal appeal appeal 
    good luck is the wrong phrase to use bc DWP letters have always stated 'the law says you are entitled to' £ but not any more 

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I've not had my tribunal hearing yet.  But Disability Rights say that the tribunal are not allowed to formally measure the distance you can walk but they do informally watch you walking into the hearing room and how you sit down and get up.  And DR also say that the hearing is inquisitorial and the tribunal ask challenging questions such as: 'You can walk 50 metres, can't you?'  You should not allow these challenging questions to rattle you.  Just reply: ' No, I can only walk 20 metres before I need to stop and rest'.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.