Council housing help needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council housing help needed

granny22
granny22 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone can someone help me please I am disabled and I am in Band A and on the register for 6 months now and still nothing what can I do please

Comments

• granny22
    Sorry forgot to tell you  I have osteoarthritis rheumatoid arthritis depressen DVT and angina stress related too I have rang the council and all they say in it will take a long time for a flat in go up and down stairs on my bottom and sleep downstairs because I can't climb 2 lots of stairs can someone help me please
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    How are you getting on @granny22 ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @granny22,

From what you've said in your post you're in the highest band possible and it's now a case of waiting for a suitable property to become available. Each local authority has it's own housing allocations policy so it's always worth reviewing the policy but I think in your case you've been accepted onto the list and it's really just waiting for a property to come up.

Did you ever have an Occupational Therapist's assessment while going through the application process? If you haven't already had one, it could be helpful to organise one. An OT can recommend things to help you manage in the home until a suitable property is found for you. It might be the case that you've already had an assessment and there aren't any suitable aids or adaptations hence the reason why you need to move to a different property. 

You haven't mentioned what your current housing status is so it's difficult to advise any further but hopefully this has been a good starting point.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • granny22
    Hi I have had a assessment from the council and the flat i am in is 12 stairs then on to first floor and another 13 to bedroom I sleep on the first floor eat and sit not suitable for my needs I have got a seat for the bath but can't always get into it
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @granny22

Are you renting your current flat and if so, are you a council or housing association tenant, or are you renting privately?

If you're a council or housing association tenant and you have a secure or assured tenancy you could try a mutual exchange. You may have already tried this but if not, it's something to consider. Let me know if you'd like more information about this. 

Do you have a care package to help you manage at home?

• granny22
    Thanks alot for this sorry so long replyingredients I got a flat now but they put me under a women with mental health music on from 3 am all day and night I am so tiered no sleep at all what else can i do spoke to council not do nothing for me
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    granny22 said:
    Thanks alot for this sorry so long replyingredients I got a flat now but they put me under a women with mental health music on from 3 am all day and night I am so tiered no sleep at all what else can i do spoke to council not do nothing for me
    Have you talked to the woman? Your council should also have a complaints procedure for noise.

(which is something I am going to have to consider - fed up of being woken up when my neighbour comes in late and when he bangs for half an hour before he goes out early in the morning)
  • lucycherish
    lucycherish Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited December 2017
    If you don't feel you could approach the woman I would contact the council directly and place a noise complaint each time it happens, they may place recording devices in your home for a short period, hope you get sorted soon x
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I don't know what your council's procedures are but here you have to be given the appropriate assessment and Band suitable for you. You then have to go onto the website and bid on suitable properties. On each it should show you how far down the list you are. Before I moved here I was also on Band A. It took 7 months and viewing 3 of 4 of the 20 or so properties I bid on before I was able to accept it.
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness