not sure if I can get an allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

not sure if I can get an allowance

Options
carnap1
carnap1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am 69 and suffer from Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. I am in constant pain but not sure if I can get an allowance so that I can employ a cleaner. My car is getting older and I would like to get on mobility to allow me to get out and about. I cannot get out without it as my feet are so painful and stop me walking far. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Carnap1,

Welcome to the community. Do you claim any benefits at the moment?

Scope has a benefits checker which will help you find what you might be entitled to:
    http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    You'd have to be under 65 to get the mobility allowance.
  • carnap1
    carnap1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your help. U will check out the calculator. Is there any way I can get on mobility, it doesn't seem fair when I have not claimed previously because I managed the pain aa best I could. I know a lot of people who are nowhere near in as much pain as I am.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    If you aren't able to get financial help - you still might be able to get help with housework from voluntary groups.

Here's the info from Age UK

Most local councils don’t provide support if you just need a helping hand with your housework, gardening or shopping.

Contact a local voluntary organisation such as your local Age UK or the Royal Voluntary Service to see whether they may be able to provide services for you.

It may still be a good idea to get an assessment by your local council to discuss your options, even if they are not able to help with these tasks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.