Benefits & Learning — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits & Learning

SMW83
SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
edited May 2017 in Education
Hi,

I am currently in receipt of PIP and ESA owing to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Agoraphobia, Depression & Anxiety.

Last July I underwent reassessment for these benefits, where they were cut substantially as I (supposedly) no longer fit the descriptors (in spite of my illness worsening since initially being awarded the benefits. After almost 9 months of appalling treatment by the DWP and the matter being taken to court, my benefits were reinstated in full.

As someone who is relatively cognisant and who is usually able to deal with such issues, this took a tremendous toll on me and my health having to undertake such a tortuous and distressing process so I can only imagine the distress and anguish it causes those who are unable to deal with such matters. Since my 'win' I have decided that I want to be able to help those who find themselves in a similar situation that I did and begin an online law course through Open University (as my illnesses mean I am virtually housebound).

However, I cannot find any information on undertaking education whilst on PIP and ESA and would also need to take a student loan to cover the cost of the course. Does anyone have any information they could provide with regards to this or advise if this would have an effect on my benefits and such, whilst I am 'recovering'?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Brightness