ESA support group changes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA support group changes

Munchkin_55
Munchkin_55 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm new to this but will in time need advice regarding ESA etc as the Government is changing things for those of us in the Suppport Group. It's a sad state of affairs when the genuinely ill are being bullied and degraded in such a way

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Hi @Munchkin_55 and welcome to the community.

We are here when you need us. The community is very friendly and happy to offer support, as well as trained advisors who can help with specific questions.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    Hi @ Munchkin_55. Welcome. Geoark is right, this is a very friendly, and informative Forum. Best I have seen in fact, and the good thing too is that it is well monitored and the trained benefits advisors do jump in with advice quite often. Put your feet up and make yourself at home :-)
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

@kevstar1

I am unsure what changes @munchkin_55 is referring to. I do know the green paper issued last year contained a single line suggesting that everyone on ESA is placed into the wrag group, and all that this entails. This would potentially include the terminally ill. It will also mean any new claims on ESA would get the same money as someone on JSA.

The announced changes on ESA, which came into effect on 3rd of April can be seen at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-changes-from-3-april-2017/employment-and-support-allowance-esa-changes-from-3-april-2017

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Debbzz
    Debbzz Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi I'm new to this but I need advice on carers allowance I've been told I can't get it because I earn to much but I have to work to pay the bills does anyone know if I can get any help anywhere I so tired and desperate
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    I think you have to earn under £110 per week, but it is worth applying for I believe as I think you get the " recognition" if that is the way to put it, that if you had less money you would be entitled, this then cvan help with other benefits such as rent allowance and council tax reduction. I think I am right in saying that although I am not an advisor, just a poster

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.