Need hearing aids in both my ears — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need hearing aids in both my ears

Dolphin500
Dolphin500 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited April 2017 in Sensory impairments
Hi to all,

I have had a test and need hearing aids in both ears but i have a neuromodulator inplant for my bladder will i still be able to use hearing aids.
Which is the best forum for hearing loss in both ears.

Dolphin500

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dolphin500 The best advice I have is to let the person who is testing you know about the neuromodulator inplant. It may not have any affect, or it may mean using a particular type of hearing aid. They would be the best person to advise you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

@VickiKirwin any advice for @Dolphin500 above?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    edited May 2017
    Hi @Dolphin500 & @Geoark

I'm aware that there are cautions on the use of certain types of equipment with neuromodulator implants but I'm not aware of any risks associated with using hearing aids. As @Geoark suggested, let your audiologist know so that they can check with the manufacturers if necessary. Good luck with your new hearing aids and listening journey.

Vicki 

• Robbins
    Robbins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I`'ve hearing aids for both ears. If I loose one, I`'ve to buy a replacement, which is £100 a time. Is there any help for me to fund getting one , as I do need both. Thank you Robbins 
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi @Robbins

I'm assuming you have NHS hearing aids and have been warned that if you lose one then they will charge you for it's loss? This is because NHS hearing aids always remain the property of the NHS and are given out on long-term loan. But the good news is that most people look after their hearing aids really well and never lose one. The NHS has implemented this charging in some areas to try and encourage the few people who aren't so careful with their property, particularly repeat offenders, because every audiology department in England spends about £10,000 each year just replacing lost hearing aids.   

However, the rules on the NHS charging people for lost or damaged equipment are quite strict - they have to prove that you were negligent in losing the aid, they have to convene a committee of at least 3 people to to consider each case (which you are allowed to attend), and they aren't allowed to charge people who get certain low income benefits. And whilst they are doing all of this they should provide you with a new hearing aid so you shouldn't be left without one when you rely on them. 

So take good care of your hearing aids. Whenever you're not wearing them, put them away in a hard case somewhere safe, don't just leave them on the mantlepiece. And always switch them off when not in use (otherwise they can quietly whistle and attract the attention of dogs who sometimes chew them!) 

Vicki     

Brightness