Top seven travel tips for accessible travel - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Top seven travel tips for accessible travel

Comments

• Neets
    Neets Community member Posts: 93 Pioneering
    Oh thank you very kindly
  • missBrown5255
    missBrown5255 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    my friends daughter as a child that is allergic to quit a few different foods she calls the airline and tells them but when she goes they never have food for her and she as to wait to see if first class or business  class leave anything so she can eat and once one of the staff on plane said she is in the same boat and always as to wait to see want left and she as same gone with out any food this is not right and should be sorted
  • kennethlongstaff
    kennethlongstaff Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Totally wrong specially since you gave them prior warning
  • Neets
    The thing is they all claim that disabled people are treated fairly when we are not. I think since the Olympics thing have gotten worse( of course only in my opinion) I booked flight assistance and not only did the staff want me to carry my suitcase on my lap. Which is where my health issue laid and then told me that I should hang the case over the side of the carriage.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I've not had a problem at all with assistance. I do, however, don't appreciate waiting around for everyone else to board first. That is a right pain. They're usually faffing about for what seems like forever.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I have to say when I travelled in a wheelchair last year, I found the service brilliant.  I think it makes a massive difference that I could get in and out on my own, I know it's very different if you can't get out easily and independently.  I booked ahead and asked for assistance and they were great.

This year I travelled (not in a wheelchair) and was stopped when I went through the body scanner, my ostomy bag was shown and I needed to be searched. I was a bit worried, but the staff were great. I went through to a private room and they had to see my bag and swab the outside of it.  They really put me at ease and it wasnt stressful at all! 

I know there are lots of issues around travelling with a disability but it would be great to hear some of your positive stories too.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Neets
    The things is priority boarding means we are meant to go on first. I was using crutches at the time of travel but can't walk long distance. But she was  awful.  There's just no consistency and that is what is missing 
  • tommy2k17
    tommy2k17 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    I am travelling to Cologne on Friday. I have got cerebral palsy, and my mate who I am going with wants to take two cases plus balance me. We are going for four nights. However, I think one suitcase is enough, what do you think?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Two cases is a lot for 4 nights in my opinion @tommy2k17 - what is he wanting to take?  Do either of you need a lot of medical equipment? 
    Scope
  • tommy2k17
    No we don't, we don't need any medical equipment. I think his worry is that he won't be able to fit all he is taking in one suitcase as well as mine; but he has to help me as well; even though he has asked for assistance for me on the Eurostar, I am aware that sometimes assistance doesn't always come!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Maybe try packing up now to see what you can fit and what he can manage?
    Scope
  • tommy2k17
    Yes, I'll do that, thankyou. What should I tell him if he still insists on taking two suitcases?
  • Sam_Alumni
    If you do a test packing, can you ask him to try carrying them and assisting you so he can gauge how it will be?
    Scope
  • tommy2k17
    Yes, I will. Thankyou.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    ive traveled from cardiff bristol and bournemouth airport, very very good, can' t fault it
  • Hudo53
    Hudo53 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Brilliant I have been looking for information like this as my husband has just become wheelchair dependant.  
  • nanof6
    hudo53, i can tell you they are so kind, what airport you going to?
  • Hudo53
    Just waiting for him to be confirmed ok to travel.  At christmas he wants to go to Goa, as we have been going there for years, but he has always been able bodied, so this is a bit different especially for India.   When you are able bodied you don't notice so much, the roads, if your restaurant has a ramp, is our lovely guest house going to be able to accommodate us with the wheelchair?   Also if he does not get a leg, what happens on the long flight?    I am so sorry, but been a stressful day today and I so want something to look forwarad too!!

• nanof6
    yes i understand, you are right, ive been to a couple of places, and no i cant go back now im in a wheelchair.but the airports i said i no are exalant.
  • Hudo53
    Good to know.
    We booked through Thomas Cook before any of this had happened, but he had mobility problems then.   They were really helpful over the phone.   Had to cancel in the end so don't know how good they are yet!

Brightness