Woodworking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Woodworking

Melvyn
Melvyn Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I currently look after my brother who is 39 and have done for almost 18 years since our father passed. I have had contact before from social services about getting Chris (My brother) in to the community and getting involved. Unfortunately Chris doesn't like authority and finds it hard sometime to do what is asked of him.. I have been doing all I can to cater his needs and wants but he has just started to show an interest in wood working and I don't know who to contact or where I might find that information on the www.. Happy to have found this site and looking forward to hearing from anyone that might be able to offer advice.. Namaste Melvyn, & Chris..

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @melvyn, welcome to the community. the Fine Woodworking website may be helpful (I think there's a cost to join but they have some free stuff and a free membership trial). Popular Woodworking also appear to have some free project guides, and general information on the topic, and they have a Youtube channel too. Chris might also get some inspiration from the project photos people have posted on the woodworking sub-reddit.

It might also be worthwhile looking for part-time courses or similar at your local college or community centre. Hope this helps.
  • joteague
    joteague Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Melvyn,
    Do you live near a local college? there may be classes under their Adult learning provision. I teach a woodwork class at a technical college to adults with disabilities. We adapt the projects to suit the abilities of the learners that come along. 
    There are also charities that provide classes to support people but it will depend on where you live. 
    Hope you find something.
    Cheers
    jo
  • Elizabeth11
    Elizabeth11 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited May 2019
    Hi Chris_Scope,
    I checked some of your blog on your site. I must say, your blogs are amazing.
    If you are pro in woodworkings, suggest me some routertable for beginner.

Brightness